BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new here.

My G310R was stolen yesterday in central London and later dumped on an estate in Peckham where the police found it.
I went to the police pound today to discover the thieves had removed the ignition and hot wired the bike. Also, of course, they had broken the steering lock. Any idea how much it costs to fix these things? My insurance policy has a pretty shocking £550 excess on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
£550.

But then, I'm old and cynical.

I had a 1966 BSA Lightning stolen in '68 and by the time I got it back a few months later, it was just useful for parts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn’t worry to much about fixing the steering lock as it obviously didn’t help in the first place and I’m sure replacing the ignition shouldn’t be that expensive either. At this point if I were you I’d installed a hidden starter button and use a brake or rotor lock and call it a day. JMO

Reactions: maxibarrios

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds like some pillock took it for nothing more than a joy ride. If you didn't have any security other than the steering lock, it was obviously rather easy to steal. Sorry, but at least you managed to get it back in one piece..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother with the steering lock. Instead you should look into placing an immobilizer in the bike instead. Begs the question of what the point was in stealing it in the first place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts