BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was stolen, a year later it was found and had been ragged and then decapitated. Insurance wouldnt pay because i did not gave a receipt for the alarmed disc lock.

i want to rebuild and do something with it. The wiring is the problem. They cut the wires and took the handlebars - i cant afford bmw parts so was looking at aftermarket.
Need to learn how to rewire.
any thoughts?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry to read and see your problem , the main harness might not be damaged just the bolt on stuff switch gear etc.
As there are some being broken for spares you should be able to get it back on the road . But you need to list all the parts and price it up to see if it is viable.
Maybe look at buying insurance right off for for most of the parts then sell what you do not need ? or break your bike for parts and see what that could do for your funds.
Does it still run - is the ECU ok ?
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
You should get it to the dealer to get the brake recall done, at least that way you won't have to pay for new calipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I costed up official parts and it came to over 3k - didnt factor calipers in. E-bay parts still came to about £1800+. I haven’t started it - I prob need to break it all down and start from scratch. A dealer will prob offer less than 1k for scrap.
I would like to rebuild and use aftermarket parts - reckon I could do a cafe racer or scrambler mod. I just need to go back to school and learn it all. Any other people out there willing to help?

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
The calipers themselves are apparently worth a lot of money, my dealer told me that the new calipers that they put on my bike and the labor would have been worth over AU$1,000.

p.s. any evidence that a disc lock was fitted to the front disc, or that it was forcibly removed? Any scuff marks on the disc that indicate removal of the lock could be used to force the insurance company to pay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Man that sucks. I think you may have to part it out and eBay off the remaining parts. I bought mine for $3k
With 700 miles. You may get 1/2 that back and have to bite the bullet for the other half.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bike was stolen, a year later it was found and had been ragged and then decapitated. Insurance wouldnt pay because i did not gave a receipt for the alarmed disc lock.

i want to rebuild and do something with it. The wiring is the problem. They cut the wires and took the handlebars - i cant afford bmw parts so was looking at aftermarket.
Need to learn how to rewire.
any thoughts? View attachment 15297 View attachment 15298
Hi! I’m so sorry to know about. You can look up the website www.boontraparts.com to find out things that you need to replace for example: electrical wiring full set 80euros, cables.,,,, they all work well. I replaced my 310R the whole bunches of wirring for just $100.

You are better Note the list of the replacement parts, then just go to there website, send them email the list and wait for the good new. If you can write in Deutch, it is faster for you.
Good luck bro!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Toby71 this is an absolute disgrace and you have every sympathy from me and no doubt everyone on this forum. How did your insurer get away with this and after a YEAR between you having the bike stolen and returned? Can you name and shame them so those of us in the UK give them a very wide berth? Who keeps all the receipts for items that are unlikely to break these days either? I do not have one for my alarmed chain bought five years ago, so if my bike is nicked will my insurer just say tough luck mate to me as well? Further, most disc locks are a deterrent but some are not over difficult to bust off - which is why I prefer a chain. Before you spend money on repairs, a word or so of caution. Back in the 1970s a friend had a stolen generator recovered and returned. Turned out the thieves had dropped the engine oil, refitted the sump plug and then ran the engine up until it died. This was only found out once he had paid to have the visibly damaged bits fixed. I think you need to get onto the insurance ombudsman or whoever, incidentally. Bike insurance is a big cost. Did you go through a broker? If so they should work for you as they take a piece of the rental premium pie. Do not give up on the insurance and PLEASE name and shame them. They are as big a bunch of thieves as those who stole your bike unless you did something daft like leave it parked with the keys in. I am really angry on your behalf!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks I costed up official parts and it came to over 3k - didnt factor calipers in. E-bay parts still came to about £1800+. I haven’t started it - I prob need to break it all down and start from scratch. A dealer will prob offer less than 1k for scrap.
I would like to rebuild and use aftermarket parts - reckon I could do a cafe racer or scrambler mod. I just need to go back to school and learn it all. Any other people out there willing to help?
sorry to hear,
i have a g310 which is identical colour scheme to yours, i am in the process of turning into cafe racer , so i will have entire bodywork for sale , fuel tank, handlebars, seat indicators, headlight ,tail light, battery , i have the rear silencer, but have cut off pipe between silencer and lambda sensor so i can use header for my new bespoke exhaust, you could cut off your damaged silencer and weld on mine

let me know if any would be of interest to you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts