BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered that the handlebar on the R model is 1.5 inches wider than the one on my FZ07. I prefer the FZ07 handlebar. Has anyone replaced the handlebar? Any issues or gotchas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Same here. I am will be replacing my handlebar soon. While on a little off-road adventure this past weekend I went down on a super sandy patch and my handlebar bent pretty bad. I was able to pull back in place (kinda) but I will need a new one.

Never done before but I hope it's easy. I will update this thread once I get to it, but if anyone have done already let me know.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This past weekend I finally replaced the stock handlebar on my wife's G310R with the FZ07 stock handlebar. The reason was that the stock BMW was too wide and not close enough to the rider. It was an easy install, and I only had to drill two holes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This past weekend I finally replaced the stock handlebar on my wife's G310R with the FZ07 stock handlebar. The reason was that the stock BMW was too wide and not close enough to the rider. It was an easy install, and I only had to drill two holes.
Glad to hear it was easy. Are the two holes for keep the controls from twisting? 1 on each side?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Factory bars are like butter and very soft. Best thing to do for an R or GS is to swap them over for something aftermarket which is significantly stronger. This can make the difference between a bike being written-off, or just a few cosmetic scratches and able to still be ridden. ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, it was super easy to install. I did have to drill two holes as NIKITAUCLA said but super easy. The new handle bar I got is 20 mm shorter, so I might have a hard time making my barkbusters work. I am also still waiting for the risers.

I just received the inserts to mount the bar-end weights and barkbusters so will try to finish tonight. The new handlebar is 1.1lb and the factory handlebar is about 2.2lb....half the weight!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, it was super easy to install. I did have to drill two holes as NIKITAUCLA said but super easy. The new handle bar I got is 20 mm shorter, so I might have a hard time making my barkbusters work. I am also still waiting for the risers.

I just received the inserts to mount the bar-end weights and barkbusters so will try to finish tonight. The new handlebar is 1.1lb and the factory handlebar is about 2.2lb....half the weight!
Easily done, you've this far, so you GOT THIS!!! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mounted the Oxford heated grips exactly the way yours are positioned. I didn't apply glue so it is constantly moving especially the throttle side. I was reluctant to apply glue to the throttle side because that would mean I will have to get a new throttle tube in the future. I'm still debating.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I mounted the Oxford heated grips exactly the way yours are positioned. I didn't apply glue so it is constantly moving especially the throttle side. I was reluctant to apply glue to the throttle side because that would mean I will have to get a new throttle tube in the future. I'm still debating.
Which oxford grip should I go with?

·
Registered
93 Posts
NIKITAUCLA
I use Renthall grip glue best I have ever used , and you can remove them if you want to change them again.(using the right technique and a little brake cleaner)

But please glue them or fix them securely , would hate to read you dropped the bike if one slipped off -- seen it happen when a guy was moving his bike around -- if you go to accelerate and it the grip just goes round the tube.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Hey, I think I ran into a similar issue like yours. So the fat-bar has no barend weight insert, and meanwhile the OEM barkbuster seems not fit the fatbar anymore, is that the same your issue? Can you post some pics regarding how you did it? And which kits should I but in order to fit the barkbuster on the fatbar? I think it should be the tapered kit right?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey, I think I ran into a similar issue like yours. So the fat-bar has no barend weight insert, and meanwhile the OEM barkbuster seems not fit the fatbar anymore, is that the same your issue? Can you post some pics regarding how you did it? And which kits should I but in order to fit the barkbuster on the fatbar? I think it should be the tapered kit right?
Hi Whatever.

Yes, I bought the tapered kit. They have 2 sizes, so make sure you buy the right internal diameter. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-bar-end-mounting-kit-14mm-alloy-insert

Buuut I was only able to install the barend weights. I could in theory install the barkbuster only without the weights, but the brake/clutch levers are too long so I would need to buy smaller/adjustable ones. Instead I am looking for a longer screw so I can put the barends + barkbusters out side, this way giving more room for the levers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Whatever.

Yes, I bought the tapered kit. They have 2 sizes, so make sure you buy the right internal diameter. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-bar-end-mounting-kit-14mm-alloy-insert

Buuut I was only able to install the barend weights. I could in theory install the barkbuster only without the weights, but the brake/clutch levers are too long so I would need to buy smaller/adjustable ones. Instead I am looking for a longer screw so I can put the barends + barkbusters out side, this way giving more room for the levers.
I did some research, I thought this might be the good option.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-mounting-kit-for-tapered-bars?rrec=true

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, this kit will be perfect. I just didn't buy this one because when I bought the Barkbuster, I bought the 310 kit that already comes with the L shape connections.
Can u post a picture when you are done. I have a barkbuster with my OEM handlebar as well. Now I am confused, it seems my current L shape connector would work for fatbar based on your feedback.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can u post a picture when you are done. I have a barkbuster with my OEM handlebar as well. Now I am confused, it seems my current L shape connector would work for fatbar based on your feedback.
Well my bar is still 7/8" so diameter is not an issue. It's only that I can't screw the barkbuster because the bolt is too short to use with the weights and without the weights (used more like a spacer) the levers hit the barkbusters. I basically have 2 options. A longer screw or new levers. I guess I could also cut the weights a little shorter.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts