BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently picked up a 2019 g310r 3 weeks ago, and I've got about 750 really fun miles on it so far!

I've noticed that there seems to be a little bit of a dead zone in the throttle. When fully closed, I can twist the throttle a few degrees before it registers that I'm turning it and the engine responds.

It's definitely not a delay.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
That's normal isn't it? Don't all bikes have that initial dead zone, or is it just the bikes I've been riding?

·
Registered
446 Posts
All materials are effected by temperature, so is a throttle cable. The cable shrink a little bit when cooled down and expands when affected by heat. Also, as the cable is routed between different parts of the motorcycle frame, it is affected by the twisting of the handle bars. If there is no play between cable and handle, you get the cable tightened when turning the bars. When the cable is tightened the air flow butterfly opens and revs increase. This you don't want to happen unintentionally. That's why you need some play between the handle and the cable, this is your "dead zone".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I'll have to take another look at this later on today.

Earlier I tried to get the boot loose that's over the adjustment nut for the throttle cable, but the boot was stuck.

Thank you all! And I think my free play is WAY more than it should be, I can twist the throttle for, g uessing, about 5-7mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts