BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 G310GS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had new tires mounted but I'm having a devil of time getting the rear wheel back on. The owners manual is not real clear. I know how it goes back on but it seems like it's going to take 3 people to do it. Either the sprocket falls loose, the bushing slides out , the disc pushes the caliper back and now one of brake pads has dropped out. I got so frustrated I gave up, had a beer and came here looking for advise. There's gotta be a better way than trying to lift the wheel into place.

signed Open to Suggestions.

· Registered
57 Posts
Had new tires mounted but I'm having a devil of time getting the rear wheel back on. The owners manual is not real clear. I know how it goes back on but it seems like it's going to take 3 people to do it. Either the sprocket falls loose, the bushing slides out , the disc pushes the caliper back and now one of brake pads has dropped out. I got so frustrated I gave up, had a beer and came here looking for advise. There's gotta be a better way than trying to lift the wheel into place.

signed Open to Suggestions.
Put some wooden block(s) under the wheel.
Lift the wheel up so it's nearly aligned... then put the axle (properly greased) in.

Beats trying to hold the wheel up with the right and and wrestle the axle in with the left hand.

· Registered
165 Posts
Put some wooden block(s) under the wheel.
Lift the wheel up so it's nearly aligned... then put the axle (properly greased) in.
Beats trying to hold the wheel up with the right and and wrestle the axle in with the left hand.
Wood blocks to lift the wheel up to the level of the axle holes- Seconded !

I created a slope up level to the axle holes using a thin plank over an ascending stack of blocks. Just roll the wheel up this ramp.
I also used a wedge between the rear brake pads ( inserted from the front of the bike towards the back) to keep them apart until the disc was in the gap ( one less thing to juggle ). The disc will push the wedge out on contact.
Good luck !

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Blocks work fine, but since I had Pit Bull Stands, I splurged on their "Pit Crew Tire Wedge". I turn the black knob and the wedge opens or closes to raise or lower the tire to the exact position I need. The picture is from Pit Bull's website.

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tread

· Registered
165 Posts
Blocks work fine, but since I had Pit Bull Stands, I splurged on their "Pit Crew Tire Wedge". I turn the black knob and the wedge opens or closes to raise or lower the tire to the exact position I need. The picture is from Pit Bull's website.

View attachment 18205
Nice !
There's nothing like splurging to get the right tools for the job. (y)

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Eh ? Take wheel out. Spread the brake pads with a screwdriver. Replace the wheel.
P.S. I don't really want to admit this, but if it helps just one person...Don't miss sliding the brake caliper on to it's swingarm keeper. I did that once and discovered that the rear brake line can keep the rear caliper from rotating during braking. However, doing so stretched the brake line so I had it replaced out of an abundance of caution. 🤕

· Registered
2022 G310GS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of the brake pads has slipped out. How do I remove the pin? I pulled out the clip that holds it place and the pin rotates freely but it doesn't seem to be moving in either direction. I looked to me that it would unscrew out and screw back in but I don't think that is the case. Does it need to be tapped out? Or what?

· Premium Member
614 Posts
It's not threaded, its a drift pin held in place by friction (see the pin in the #8 box in the picture below. You need similar sized slightly smaller diameter rod (aka drift pin punch) to tap it on one side until it sticks out on the other side enough to pull it out the rest of the way. To avoid losing it if it pops out, have a towel or something that will keep if from bouncing to a place where you'll never find it.

#8 is "Kit, Attachment Parts, Brake Lining - BMW-Motorrad (34218569413)"
Font Auto part Circle Machine Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Blocks of wood and that wedge that came with chain saw perfect. But if you lack a lift or stands you’ll have to block it. Sometimes it helps to be higher than the center stand allows. Put blocks under center stand then up on stand. I’ve also used a long punch from other side to hold as I put axle in. Or lug wrench lacking a big punch.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I just wanted to be sure before I started banging on it with a hammer.
When its lined up correctly, you should be able to rotate the axle and get it started by hand. After it's started, careful tapping works until it gets to the other side. If the other side isn't lined up, it will stop dead. Look from the other side to see if it's lining up.

· Registered
2022 G310GS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When its lined up correctly, you should be able to rotate the axle and get it started by hand. After it's started, careful tapping works until it gets to the other side. If the other side isn't lined up, it will stop dead. Look from the other side to see if it's lining up.
In and out like butter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts