BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. new to the forum and currently in the process of looking for a G310GS.

I have an opportunity to buy a well priced 2018 model with a very low 2000 Kms / 1200 Miles on it. Its been dropped and has the wear to show it (which I dont really mind) but otherwise it seemed to be running beautifully. One thing I did notice, it was fiddly trying to get the bike into 1st from neutral after starting. It kept jumping into 2nd.
I wasn't sure if it was rider error. Current bike is a Ducati where you really need to man handle the gear lever. Maybe I was just stomping on it too hard making it bounce up - but the owner was open about it and was the one who actually brought it to my attention and asked "did you notice this...?". So is this a common thing, or a bad sign?

My other option , is I just buy new. For not too much more, I could buy brand new, have the three year warranty (not always a guarantee I wont have issues) and reap the benefits of the 2021 features like the electronic throttle. I did stall the bike doing a slow, tight u turn in 1st gear - as per the well documented need for this bike to give it a bit more throttle on 1st gear, but I'm sure in time I could figure out how to avoid this and adapt. Would welcome people's thoughts on the new vs used.

If I pursue the used bike path - other than the brakes and side stand recall - any other common issues I should look for and tips on how I can spot when checking/testing a used GS?

·
Super Moderator
1,186 Posts
Welcome to the forum, having a three year warranty and a new bike has its benefits, it all depends on how much this is worth to you.

How can the gear slip into second when trying to get into first from neutral, first is down, second is up, maybe it is the stomping, you don't need much pressure, sometimes rolling forward or backward slightly can help. There's problems getting into neutral from first or second, this is normal when starting out and requires a bit of practice and for the gearbox to run in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, having a three year warranty and a new bike has its benefits, it all depends on how much this is worth to you.

How can the gear slip into second when trying to get into first from neutral, first is down, second is up, maybe it is the stomping, you don't need much pressure, sometimes rolling forward or backward slightly can help.
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah.. good question. In fact, when I first got on the bike, I had to ask - "is it 1 down, 5 up?"

There's problems getting into neutral from first or second, this is normal when starting out and requires a bit of practice and for the gearbox to run in.
I didn't have any issues finding Neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add. I'm intending to do some long distance commuting on this bike. 2 to 3 days per week on 200km round trips - so reliability is paramount for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here in the US, bike prices have been weird lately. For a three year old bike, I would want to get at least a 20% discount... but keep in mind that the MSRP is lately way under what you would actually have to pay to go out the door! Looks like new GSes are costing around $7,000. If you can get one used for 4.5-5k, I would consider that a pretty good deal.

Maybe with some scratches, you could try for 3.5-4k? It really is a seller's market though. Get an out the door price and delivery estimate from a local dealer in order to know what you are actually comparing the used one to!

Good luck! For what it's worth, I bought a used 2018 R; and love it. It does require revving a little when easing out the clutch in 1st gear. But, I have gotten used to it. The engine puts out a perfect amount of power in my mind. Enough to go on the interstate comfortably, but also friendly enough to keep me insurance costs low.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
179 Posts
My other option , is I just buy new. For not too much more, I could buy brand new, have the three year warranty (not always a guarantee I wont have issues) and reap the benefits of the 2021 features like the electronic throttle. I did stall the bike doing a slow, tight u turn in 1st gear - as per the well documented need for this bike to give it a bit more throttle on 1st gear, but I'm sure in time I could figure out how to avoid this and adapt.
Keep an eye on the updates as you already mentioned. (y)

I bought the GS in 2018 and did stalled it a few times (especially with my son on the duo seat).
Maybe it got better after some software updates when idle speed became higher + a little while after initial break-in period (>2.500 km).

I have after market levers that can be adjusted. Maybe this helps.
The 2021 GS has got adjustable leavers.
I find the gap quite big for not having them.

But after a short time you will adapt with thinking. ;)
I ride other BMW bikes like the HP2 sport and S1000RR.
The G310GS is used more often than both bikes together.
And did not stalled it any more the past year two years!

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have an opportunity to buy a well priced 2018 model with a very low 2000 Kms / 1200 Miles on it. Its been dropped and has the wear to show it (which I dont really mind) but otherwise it seemed to be running beautifully. One thing I did notice, it was fiddly trying to get the bike into 1st from neutral after starting. It kept jumping into 2nd.
I wasn't sure if it was rider error. Current bike is a Ducati where you really need to man handle the gear lever. Maybe I was just stomping on it too hard making it bounce up - but the owner was open about it and was the one who actually brought it to my attention and asked "did you notice this...?". So is this a common thing, or a bad sign?

My other option , is I just buy new. For not too much more, I could buy brand new, have the three year warranty (not always a guarantee I wont have issues) and reap the benefits of the 2021 features like the electronic throttle. I did stall the bike doing a slow, tight u turn in 1st gear - as per the well documented need for this bike to give it a bit more throttle on 1st gear, but I'm sure in time I could figure out how to avoid this and adapt. Would welcome people's thoughts on the new vs used.

If I pursue the used bike path - other than the brakes and side stand recall - any other common issues I should look for and tips on how I can spot when checking/testing a used GS?
Get a new one if the price difference is not a big factor. The guarantee alone is worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Last spring I purchased a well cared for 2018 with about the same mileage as yours. No problems and no regrets, and a substantial money savings. That was the decider for me - the amount of the savings. If substantial and the bike's condition is excellent, I would go that way. If not substantial or any significant problems with the bike, than new. The 1200 miles certainly is in favor of the used bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
2021 is the new stator design and fly-by-wire throttle.

The throttle alone is going to be a major difference in your enjoyment. From fixing the stall issues, to managing cold starts better, and of course actual riding performance. You'll appreciate that intelligent throttle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts