BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A reminder to check the motor oil level. After putting 200 miles on the bike, I decided just to check the engine oil level in the sight glass. To my surprise it was BELOW the bottom circle. I went down to the dealer and bought a quart of 15W50 Bmw Oil which costs over $15 per qt and topped it off. They told me that they don't put much oil into those bikes when shipped from the factory.
After doing the research and from my personal experience with Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oils I plan to convert over to this brand in 20W50 once the 600 mile check is done.
Also, a week after I had the bike, I checked the tire pressure and found each of them to be 8-10 psi over the recommended pressures and these were checked cold!

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you go through this forum you will find out you are not the only one with not enough oil or other little things.
I think it is the reponsability of a dealer to check the bike before it hits the road in a safe way.
In my country you pay a little extra to make the bike roadworthy (licence-paperwork / first -pre-ride inspection)
If this is done in the right way, you should end up with a safe motorcycle.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think it is the reponsability of a dealer to check the bike before it hits the road in a safe way.
Well you can hope so, but never assume.
Ultimately it is the owners responsibility to do your pre ride checks.

Reactions: Flabmw

·
Registered
935 Posts
Tickster,

I agree on that.
It's the riders responsability to check before you start riding.
We have something called BRAVOK.
These are the first letters for a day-to-day (pre ride) inspection (in Dutch).
B = tyres
R = brakes
A = battery
V = lights
O = oil
K = chain / shaft drive

But ................... when you buy a new motorcycle ........... it is the dealers responsability to hand you a safe motorcycle.
I don't who is responsable when something goes wrong when you leave your dealers garage / shop.
here, the dealer is, but in other countries ??????
Maby you check it together with your dealer

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yes a new bike from a dealer should be in a safe riding condition when received,
but, when they do the PDI (pre delivery inspection) how thorough are they?

First thing I do, is check torque on axles, handlebars, and put a wrench/Allen key to any other fasteners I can
get to.
Check the chain tension, tire pressure, oil level, coolant, etc.
Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I never assume.

Reactions: SCG310R

·
Registered
151 Posts
First thing I did was to take bike apart and put
Back together
Lol, me to...And still didn't find the b...... accessory socket!:mad:

Reactions: porth

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lol, yeah my G310 Bbone.
Removed all parts that add weight/slow you down. Plastics, seat, brakes etc. ;-)

·
Registered
151 Posts
It’s an option!
I just put one on my R.

Is it an option too for the GS.
If so, you won’t find one 😉
Was actually looking for the connector which are usually on all the BMW bikes. E.g. the one under the tank on the R models.

Anyone know where the accessory connector hides on the GS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts