BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

Top case choice

61K views 80 replies 41 participants last post by  DunedinRider2022 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I've ridden my 310 GS with a soft bag on the rear but I'm ready to upgrade with a monolock case.
I looked at shad and givi .looking for something not too round, not too boxy...
I also do t want to feel like the box is out of proportions compared to the bike. So wondering what size I should look at to avoid that but also be able to fit one full face helmet and a jacket.
And last, givi has this top box that you can connect for extra break lights which I like a lot to add to safety .

Any thoughts? Pics of what you've done with your 310's GS . thank you in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
It's been posted before - but Givi Trekker Dolomiti 30 liter. Not the cheapest option, though.

I had initially put a Monolock case on, but decided that I wanted the aluminum case.

Monolock case available reasonably for anyone in the greater DC metro area

Reactions: gregtixa
#3 ·
It's been posted before - but Givi Trekker Dolomiti 30 liter. Not the cheapest option, though.
This one is super nice!

I went for a cheap used pelican case that I bought on ebay for 50 bucks and simply screwed on the rack. It's easily removable but it's waterproof and it can be locked. Doesn't fit a helmet though.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I went with the (cheaper) OEM 29 liter topcase. The 30 liter is ridiculously expensive. The 29 liter one is surprisingly inexpensive & works quite well. Also fits a full face helmet. Also, I got the dealer to include the topcase with free installation as part of the bike purchase agreement. However, buying one outright is not that expensive (for example, $201.99 at sierrabmwonline.com). Also, it can be easily unlocked & removed from the rack if desired.

Attachments

#80 ·
I have 1 question. With those racks, what is the maximum top case width that can be installed and not interfere with the operation of the side cases? (Operation being opening and closing of side cases - I'm ok with sequential install/removal). I want a 60L top case but not sure if thats too wide or not?

#9 ·
Actually, that’s only true for the 30L. The 29L has a different design & smaller size key. I will attach a pic showing my ignition key on top with the 29L key below it (the small red one is for my Hepco & Becker sidecases). Actually, I prefer a separate key anyways - otherwise, you’d have to shut off the bike just to access something quickly in the topcase.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have the SW Motech TraX 38L. I can fit quite a bit of luggage in it but it is just big enough for my XL size adventure helmet with space for a few small things in the corners. Definitely no space for my large size motorcycle jacket, can probably fit a soft shell jacket. I am able to fit my wife's XS Shoei and size 8 riding jacket fairly easily.

Attachments

Reactions: deegee
#57 ·
It is, and in my opinion is very flimsy. Mine was broken into with just a small rod (a screwdriver maybe), I lost a $500 helmet and $150 gloves. Nothing was broken, the lock still functions, but it was just too easy to do for the thief. The 30L BMW-made case appears to be much sturdier, with a stronger looking lock and latch mechanism.

#18 ·
I apologize as I asked this on another thread and cannot find it, but can you let me know:
1) is this an OEM luggage rack? I understand that the r and GS use the same rack.
2) what mounting plate you used to attach it (Givi makes couple) -I need to see if it is a Monokey plate as I have a Givi Trekker box I would like to use.

Thanks!

#19 ·
The GS has a luggage rack as stock equipment. The same rack can be fitted to the R in place of the grab handles.

You need Givi part # SR5126 adapter. One side of this mounts to the OEM rack, and the other side mounts to Givi's M8 plate, which the top boxes mount to. The SR5126 also contains 2 diagonal braces that help support the weight cantilevered over the rear of the bike.

Working from the bottom up, the 2 diagonal braces (in black), the OEM luggage rack (in aluminum), the SR5126 adapter plate (in black) and the bottom of the Givi M8 plate (in aluminum). Note that the M8 plate is also available in black - M8A vs. M8B

Looking from the top:

Reactions: Sfilipovic11
#26 ·
Thank you Focusfrenzy. After reading some reviews, I decided against the SW Motech rack, Givi adapter combo I saw on revzilla. I have ordered an R from my dealer and as mentioned, it does not come with a rack. I am going to get the OEM rack (same as the GS)

I did come across the Givi Monokey mounting plate that I have on my TW, and it is great bc it is designed to mount to any rack. I am not sure why it was not showing up in previous searches
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e251-universal-monokey-top-case-adapter-plate. So I hope I finally have this resolved. The plate comes today, and the bike won't me in until next week.

#27 ·
The "what fits my bike" searches can miss things. I ordered my luggage from twisted throttle and using the my bike function it listed several of the big top cases as fitting but not the 30L trekker.
it was also not very clear that even though you have a rack, you need to mount another rack to your rack so you can mount a plate to the rack on your rack to mount the case to.:confused:

#28 ·
that was driving me crazy trying to figure out some of these options. I am confident the universal adapter plate will attach right to the OEM rack...it does to my TW's rack. I actually feel like it is more sturdy than the other adapter plate I have for my GS (which attached to an SW Motech rack)

#39 ·
Sam@jp - Not to hijack the thread , but where did you get your centerstand from ?
It looks like you have the motech skid plate which I also have on my 310GS. It looks like the centerstand doesn't interfere with the skid plate. Also, was it hard to install ?

#40 ·
Hi IOM, as you can see, I installed motech's skid plate and center stand. As products of the same manufacturer, they are fully compatible.
Well, let me start a new thread about the installation story of the center stand:smile2:

#42 ·
I am happy to report that the Givi MONOKEY adapter plate easily bolts into the 4 holes on the BMW OEM rack(which fits both the g and r)! No surgery or adaptations needed. Now of course I find the Givi Trekker Outback box which I use on my GS looks quite large on the little r. I guess I won't worry to much, I think I will just use the box for work commuting and not whipping around the twisities on the weekend.

#44 · (Edited)
I did snap a pic. Personally I think it is too big for a little sport bike. I think it would be great on the GS though. I use the box on my 700GS and TW200 and was kind of hoping I could use it on this bike too. I haven't ridden it yet with the box on as I want to get used to the handling without it so I can see if there is a huge difference. Either way, if I use the Trekker on the r, it will just be for commuting not sport riding.

PS there are a few Monkey adapters-get the honeycomb ("universal") one pictured previously, not the other one that attached to the SW Motech rack. I read some reviews and they are not as good -and I agree as I have that set up on my GS.

I have the universal plate (which attaches to any rack) on the r and my TW.

Attachments

#46 · (Edited)
PS there are a few Monkey adapters-get the honeycomb ("universal") one pictured previously, not the other one that attached to the SW Motech rack. I read some reviews and they are not as good -and I agree as I have that set up on my GS.
I had the plastic honeycomb monokey adapter plate on my VStrom for over 92K miles. Absolutely no issues. The metal M8 plate does look spiffier, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.