BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 G310GS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding R1200GS's for years then two years ago "traded down" to a F850GS which seemed lighter and easier to handle that the 1200. But I'm getting older, losing my ability and dropped the 850 several times this last year. I also went down on my R1200RT so I finally knew it was time for another change. So I traded my F850GS and R1200RT for a brand new R1250RS which seems much easier to handle than the other two, especially with the lower seat height, reasonable weight and low center of gravity due to the boxer engine layout.
When I went in to the BMW dealer to sign papers for the RS there was just one more new G310GS left in stock. I've ridden this bike before and liked it, and since BMW was offering $1000 off and the dealer cutting even more off I bought it on the spot. So later that day I had two brand new BMW's sitting in my garage.
Anyway, I'm here on this forum because of the 310. Sure, it's a tad tall but it seems wicked light and easy to toss around. The RS cost 4 times as much as the little GS but I'm expecting just as much enjoyment from the 310.

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of the gs. I have a 310R and am looking at trading up to an R9T scrambler, but I'm in no hurry as I really enjoy the R. To be honest, ideally I'd like to keep the R so that my wife can ride it and so that I can also swap around a bit between two bikes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To be honest, ideally I'd like to keep the R so that my wife can ride it
Yeah! Blame it on the Missy. I bought my GS to my wife. She told me she will never ride it, or any motorcycle. As I totaled my R120GS days before the G310GS was delivered, I happily drive the Baby-GS now.
I wonder if the crash affected my wife's decision on not riding motorcycles?

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's not an unusual story. A few years ago - two in fact - I exchanged my venerable '93 K75S for a 310R and have been very happy with the change. The Flying Brick was, in my opinion, an excellent machine. It was turbine smooth, handled well, and with the BMW hard side cases and top case it carried all I ever needed space for. However, with advancing age comes reduced upper body strength and diminished sense of balance and the Brick was becoming a handful. The G310R is much more enjoyable to ride - lighter, not top heavy, handles just as well, stops just as well, and sips fuel in comparison to the K75. Costs less to insure too. Not a bad at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trading down too. Going from 2016 R1200gs to 2021 a G310gs.
The 1200 gs is a near perfect bike. I’m almost 69 and still have the need for speed. The big GS is fast. The g310gs is zippy feeling. It’s true what they say about fast on a small bike vs big.

A 1999 Ducati 900 Monster restarted my late life biking about 7 yrs ago. Then came a BMW 2007 K1200S Sport. Then a 1998 r1100gs, which pulled and sounded like a tractor, then K100rs.. before I brought the 1200gs.

The G310 gs is definitely a bit different. Things I’ve noticed, curves aren't so tight. U turns smaller. Without the extra mass there's is less effort carving thru the hills.
Wind is more of an issue. Touring will be more tiresome, if I decide too. Longer rides already tell me that. Of course the list could go on and on. I’m 5’6" and the 310gs is taller than my 1200gs BUT due to the weight difference it’s now almost effortless to balance at stops
Bottom line the little 310gs puts a big smile on my face. I’ve no regrets. I have a bike and that’s what counts.
Thanks for the space. Luv this forum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2016 R1200RT and a 2019 G310GS. I bought the GS a year ago and have over 7000 miles on it. I love riding this bike. I use the RT for 2 up or rides over 300 miles. The rest of the time I tend to grab the 310. I've put about 500,000 miles on big bikes, Goldwings, FJR, Concours etc. I've had more fun on the 310 this year than in quite a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts