BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is another debated subject regarding if to brake or not at the corners. there are many experts that insist that trail braking is the only way to brake. I am not personally so sure of it, but I do use it frequently. what is trail braking? when you go through a corner too fast, you press VERY gently the front brake (not the rear brake). this slows your bike and changes its geometry, so that the weight is more on the front wheel; this makes the bike more like a sport bike. If you press the front brake too strong, you crash. but pressing it gently allows you to be still in control.I use trail braking, when I go too fast through the corners, or just to have more control.

there are several schools here. one is that you just counter-steer and control the turns. second is that you slow very much to avoid any danger. and trail braking is a way to control your cornering without too much slowing down the bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Trail braking is hard braking before the curve to slow down for the curve and then a gentle release of the brake pressure into the curve until you reach the apex of the curve where you throttle back up. Read MotoGP info regarding trail braking to learn the technique.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Trail braking is hard braking before the curve to slow down for the curve and then a gentle release of the brake pressure into the curve until you reach the apex of the curve where you throttle back up. Read MotoGP info regarding trail braking to learn the technique.
There are many schools in this regard. Even professional instructors often do not agree. But trail braking as I know it is not braking before the corner (this is just regular slowing down), but braking while going through the corner, and only giving throttle when you come out of the apex.

It is also good to keep positive throttle when you are cornering instead or in combination with trail braking. this one can be challenging when going down the hill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Trail braking is used a lot in most motorsports, particularly offroad motorsports like rally.

The basis for it is to allow greater control of the vehicle upto the apex of the corner to counter any over or understeer. Using the brake or throttle will give you control over the weight balance of the vehicle allowing more grip in the required area or to help rotate the vehicle in a slide.

Also by lightly applying the brake, you minimise the shock loading on the tyre or sudden weight balance movement by the initial bite of the brake pad which can unsettle the vehicle or exceed the tyres max grip levels.

It's just a method to control the vehicle, like left foot braking (often used in cars for trail braking), weight transference, throttle oversteer, etc... It's not better or worse its just a technique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts