BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced an issue with their transmission sticking in either Neutral "N" or or even displaying "-" on the gear indicator after several downshifts? It has happened to me a couple of times. I am a new rider (since May) and this is my first bike so operator error may very well be coming into play here. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yep. When it stays in N let the clutch lever all the way out then engage the clutch again. If it shows "-" slowly and I mean slowly let out on the clutch lever until you feel a slight movement and it should show you the gear you're in. If you let out too much youre going to stall.
I have been wondering, are all bikes like that? Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance every once in a while.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree, a minor annoyance.
I found out it works better if you check the tension of your chain.
My dealer , at the 1000 km inspection, put to much tension on the chain and that influenced changing all gears AND finding neutral !

·
Super Moderator
1,016 Posts
If you roll back a bit you will find that it is much easier to get into neutral from first. If you don't roll back, the gears will be forced against each other, making it harder to disengage, the added force required to disengage will cause you to go straight from first to second.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I agree, a minor annoyance.
I found out it works better if you check the tension of your chain.
My dealer , at the 1000 km inspection, put to much tension on the chain and that influenced changing all gears AND finding neutral !
It seems that most mechanics cannot read chain tension specifications which are usually shown on the swinging arm or chain guard. I have had two bikes recently which had the chain tension set at 25mm at their 600 mile service, when the both of them should have been 40-50mm (including the G310R). It seems that they think all bikes should have a chain tension of 25mm.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Something too check after maintenance or ..... tell your mechanic / dealer.
I never had a chain driven BMW before and I don’t know how much mm you need for a GS 800 or GS 700.
Anyone ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
whhoops ... my Gear Indicator has given up .
Won't show any correct gear or Neutral - have to start with the clutch in.!
Booked in next week with the dealer.
I suspect the 'cam' or whatever detects the gear position has broken.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you checked that the battery connections are not loose?

·
Registered
281 Posts
thanks for the observation ... done all that .. and the disconnect for 5 minutes trick... its well past all that.
Got to wait till next friday before the BMW wizards do their thing ...- but its still very ride-able.

·
Registered
222 Posts
thanks for the observation ... done all that .. and the disconnect for 5 minutes trick... its well past all that.
Got to wait till next friday before the BMW wizards do their thing ...- but its still very ride-able.
Not saying I know about your issue, but worth checking: since the gear indication potentiometer is externally mounted so you can easily check, at least, if the cable looks fine and the connection still well made.
See #1 on this graph, make sure it's still connected & check the routing and that cable itself is OK.
If it is properly connected and the cable is fine, then it might the potentiometer itself that failed, your wizards will tell you. And if it's only that, it should be a quick & easy fix. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS: being there you can also verify the potentiometer itself is still bolted-on tight :) (bolts indicated by #1 on 2nd picture.)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dang! Have they given you a new bike yet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
nope ... new bike ... in my dreams ... the gear indicator detector has been replaced.
BUT
they can't start the bike .!.!. as its cold here .!.!. see Cold Start Issue thread

·
Registered
33 Posts
This exact same thing happened to me yesterday. same lights and same indicators
after a lot of checking (even went to the dealer but at least here. they know NOTHING and i mean nothing!), i can say its due to several facts.
check your chain 40 to 50mm on the middle between sprocket and rear wheel on side stand
check tire pressure.
check clutch
check your oil (this was my issue, i live in cancun and my bike has 8500 kms and is starting to get hot in here hehe. the oil is already used up and the issue only arises when the motorcycle is hot. i changed the oil and everything is working with no issues)

i dont know if this is your problem also but it happened the same way,
good luck in getting this solved

·
Registered
33 Posts
You say that the "oil was used up" does that mean that the oil level was low ?
Or was the oil just worn out?
sorry my bad english is not my first language. it looked like the oil lost viscosity (?) so worn out yeah hehe

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the information on the "worn out" oil causing shifting issues. It is good to know that 8500 km in a hot climate is most likely the maximum that we can expect the 15W50 BMW oil to last. The recommended oil change interval is 10,000 km according to the manual, and that is probably OK for cooler climates with less severe riding conditions. I am guessing that we should be changing it sooner than the manual recommends when running in hot and severe riding conditions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue with the tranny hanging up in N. Having driven MANY manual transmissions, I know that letting things "mesh" can sometimes put things right. Been able to deal with it, but it is one of the two issues I have. I will give it 1000 miles and then take it in.

Cheers!
JDR

1 - 20 of 42 Posts