BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

My G310GS doesn’t trigger lights here in SoCal. I’ve added some neodymium magnets to the skid plate as I’d heard that would fix it. Doesn’t seem to make a difference though.

Gas anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you overcome it?

Appreciate any pointers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Folks!

My G310GS doesn’t trigger lights here in SoCal. I’ve added some neodymium magnets to the skid plate as I’d heard that would fix it. Doesn’t seem to make a difference though.

Gas anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you overcome it?

Appreciate any pointers.
I have that exact same problem and it gets quite frustrating especially when waiting at a light that normally gives a turn signal but if I'm the only one in the lane it doesn't register and I sit and watch all the traffic around me go. I've been noticing that I seem to have better luck if I stay to the inside of my lane but that is hit and miss and may even just all be in my head. But it is definitely a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
this can be a common problem for motorbikes. It depends on what type of sensor system the traffic lights use. If it's an induction system, you can typically align you bike with the cut marks in the road. You can also turn off the bike and start it again, sometimes the starter motor starting is enough to trigger the induction coil. There are other tips and tricks on youtube, but magnets typically don't work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as I am concerned (d)(1) Covers you for proceeding IF IT IS SAFE. I only do it when no one is in sight, and the light would have cycled in my favor (so I don't just run red lights because I don't want to wait for green). If it is the type of intersection there there is no way it is safe, I make right turns :(. I have taken a couple classes with LEO's and they confirmed this law.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I am concerned (d)(1) Covers you for proceeding IF IT IS SAFE. I only do it when no one is in sight, and the light would have cycled in my favor (so I don't just run red lights because I don't want to wait for green). If it is the type of intersection there there is no way it is safe, I make right turns :(. I have taken a couple classes with LEO's and they confirmed this law.

Thanks Peabody99. Appreciate it.

I followed the advice in the video and positioned the engine on the sensor line. It worked great!

Peabody99 if you are ever up for a ride through Angeles crest, little T, bouquet or Malibu canyons, let me know! (Or if you just want to hang out!)

·
Registered
34 Posts

I don’t read that section to cover you proceeding in this situation.I don’t think the light not triggering constitutes “inoperative.” But that’s just my read and I am not in CA so it essentially doesn’t pertain to me. I may check my state laws as I suffer from lights but changing too. Oh and I am not a lawyer lol. Just my opinion.
Be safe whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Peabody99. Appreciate it.

I followed the advice in the video and positioned the engine on the sensor line. It worked great!

Peabody99 if you are ever up for a ride through Angeles crest, little T, bouquet or Malibu canyons, let me know! (Or if you just want to hang out!)
I am glad that worked, I don't always have that much luck! I love your roads up there, I have ridden them all but bouquet....going to have to look that one up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts