BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lots of great info in this thread with no BS. Rare indeed for a moto thread - especially an oil thread.

One note on torque wrenches. I never used to use one (been riding & wrenching since around 1961) until 1993. I bought a bike with a huge drain plug in a thin engine case. The owner's manual said to tighten it firmly. With thoughts of stripped threads dancing in my head and a large hole in the bottom of the crankcase, I got the actual torque spec from the shop manual and bought my first torque wrench.

The wrench clicked long before I would have expected it to. I came to the realization that I'd been stretching the **** out of bolts for the past 3 decades and I was amazed that I hadn't had more failures than I had (stripped threads, broken bolts, etc.). I now use it whenever I'm putting something back together - it doesn't take any more time to grab the torque wrench than it does to grab the ratchet handle.

A note on oil filter tightening - read the box. Some filters will want one full turn, others will spec 1/4 turn - and these are for the same bike (different filter brands). Don't assume.

And don't put the oil catch pan away until after you've got it all back together and have run it for a few minutes. DAMHIK (see comments above on filter tightness and assuming).

Reactions: Cees Klumper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know the K&N (or any brand really) oil filter number that fits? Want to pick one up off of Amazon, but Amazon currently doesn't think that any filter fits the 310GS.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did a lengthy web search for an after market oil filter for the G310 about 3 months ago and I was unable to find an after market filter. I even tried to cross ref the number that is on the filter. Nobody seems to have one yet, but I guess that by the end of the year some of the big manufacturers will have one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did you go to main dealer for oil/filter ? no one in UK seems to sell BM oil/filter for the 310 approx. price a Rainbow, Rotherham is nearly £50 for same.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Angie Dave,

The BMW shops in the USA sell the oil filter for about $15.50 (£ 11.6 ) or thereabouts. A lot of us think that this is about $7 or $8 more than it should cost so we are patiently waiting for Purolator or Wix or Emgo or Bosch or some of the other big companies to start supplying one for a more reasonable charge. I suppose they will begin selling all in good time as soon as the bike population gets large enough to support doing so..

The BMW filter is a Mahle # OC1141

Willy

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did you go to main dealer for oil/filter ? no one in UK seems to sell BM oil/filter for the 310 approx. price a Rainbow, Rotherham is nearly £50 for same.
I got charged £32.42 for two litres of oil last year when I had the 600 mile service done at the well known BMW dealer in Long Eaton. The oil filter was £12.60 plus about £1.10 for the sump plug washer. Labour cost was £93 plus £3 to top up the coolant and another £3 charge to dispose of the old oil. Total cost was £145.13 - not a cheap 600 mile oil change. However, they originally charged me £177.55. This was because they invoiced me for FOUR litres of oil. I pointed out that the engine only holds 1.7 litres of oil and they changed the bill. And no, I did not get a part bottle of oil, for topping up, with 300cc's of oil which would have been left when they used the two litre bottles of oil. If I had not noticed the inflated bill, they would have been quite happy to overcharge me over £32. I only need to change the oil this year so I will buy any 15/50 motorcycle oil and, unfortunately, pay the BMW price for an oil filter. I will not be using that BMW dealer again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent heap!!!

Thank you so much heap, very well detail steps for an oil change. I called the dealership where I bought my g310r to schedule an appointment for an oil change, because the guy that sold me the bike told me that if I didn’t do the oil change at a BMW dealership the warranty on my bike would be void, but that’s not true. When I asked for the price for an oil change at the dealer, they told me that it was going to be $235 US Dollars. That’s crazy!!! So I just went got the parts myself for $32.00 and did it myself, super easy and easier with heap explanation.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Crush washers are meant for allowing a perfect seal and they will "crush" a little bit, preventing you to over-tight the bolt. I often did not replace the crush washer systematically on each oil change, but I was told using the same crush washer over and over could damage the threads of the casing in the long run, it makes sense and for what they cost, I prefer to do it whenever possible.
Revisiting this otherwise excellent post - a couple of points.

A crush washer will NOT, repeat, NOT prevent you from overtightening the drain plug (and perhaps stripping out the threads in the engine case). As the OP noted, its purpose is to seal the gap between the soft (aluminum) engine case and the hard (steel) drain plug. The copper washer is softer than either of those and will deform first.

The reason to use a new washer is that the copper crush washer will work harden with repeated use and will lose its ability to crush into the minute gaps between the case and plug - so you want to use a new washer each time.

You CAN get more life from a crush washer by annealing it, but it's orders of magnitude simpler just to buy a new one. It doesn't have to be OEM, just one with the proper sized hole in the middle.

Reactions: Serrated

·
Registered
29 Posts
@heap

Thanks for this!
I'm not too clumsy with tools, but I'm also not an expert mechanic, so any help is always great.

I would LOVE to see if we can start compiling something like this...

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Actually I just ordered oil and filters etc yesterday from a BMW dealer here in CA, and the filter is $15.79 plus sales tax (I also ordered filter anc oil for my C650 Sport). I think the costs are ok, considering all other costs like depreciation, insurance and the rest of it. After all you save time and labor cost as well:

Order Contents:
P/N Quantity Price EA Description
83212365963 6 $ 16.25 Original BMW ADVANTEC Pro engine oil 15W-50, 1 L
11428562889 1 $ 15.79 Oil filter
11138562767 1 $ 3.12 O-ring
11427673541 1 $ 19.74 Oil filter
07119963252 1 $ 1.79 Gasket ring
07119963252 2 $ 1.79 Gasket ring

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
So a few days after I placed the order I referred to in my previous post, I decided to track the order to know when to expect it to arrive. Lo and behold the order status on their website (BMW Burbank) said "cancelled". They had not bothered to inform me, and when I asked, they said "sorry, we cannot send you oil, we have let our webshop provider know". So silly. So I ordered the same parts from A&S Motorcycle Parts (another on-line retailer here in California) and a few short days later, voila.
I do feel BMW's parts site is hard to navigate, not user friendly (they have that in common with Mercedes, they are the absolute worst) but refusing to send oil to their customers? Making it difficult to love them.
Yesterday I changed the oil + filter on my C650 Sport, today or this weekend we'll do the 310R.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Cees, I've been in the Burbank dealership at least 5 times and aside from Justin (main desk), ppl are just not on top of stuff. They'll take a long time, they finish servicing your bike but don't let you know (while you're waiting in the lounge) and just have this overall energy of just doing hours not there to really help or be proactive. So I'm not surprised the website part is sloppy too.

I'd recommend always calling and following up closely whenever when dealing with them. I think the Long Beach one may be a bit better (but farther for me).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
So this morning I changed the oil and filter. Easy-peasy, except that the old filter was on mighty tight, I had to break out one of those filter wrenches. I changed the brake fluid as well, front and rear, also quite easy. Final act was to connect my tablet with the MotoScan app via the OBDlink LX and, after checking for codes (there were none, in the motor management, ABS system, or instrument cluster), reset the service date to next April. All set for the coming year, just add fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
So this morning I changed the oil and filter. Easy-peasy, except that the old filter was on mighty tight, I had to break out one of those filter wrenches. I changed the brake fluid as well, front and rear, also quite easy. Final act was to connect my tablet with the MotoScan app via the OBDlink LX and, after checking for codes (there were none, in the motor management, ABS system, or instrument cluster), reset the service date to next April. All set for the coming year, just add fuel.
Which service was this? 1 year, xxxx miles? When do you need to check your valve spacings?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Great write-up.
By the way, I would never buy BMW oil at that price. I'm not going to give money away to BMW.
Rotella T6 Synthetic Diesel Oil matches the API SJ and JASO MA2 requirements at only $22 for a gallon.

eBay has 4 oil filters for $38 :)

Don't even get me started with the $600+ first service maintenance. LOL

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
This was the first service after the 'running in' one, which I had done by BMW last April. I am following the user manual service schedule, according to which the valve clearances are to be checked first at 12,000 miles (my bike has around 2,000 miles).

21 - 40 of 61 Posts