BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like TVS is going to benefit quite a bit from it's BMW partnership. TVS is going to launch their own version of the G310R codenamed U69.

BMW will take care of research and development for the U69 and it's expected to be a fully faired bike sharing the same 313cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder engine as it's German counterpart.

Expected to launch at the upcoming Auto Expo 2016, this bike isprobably going to cost less than the G310R and could be aimed at those who wanted to BMW but don't want to pay for it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Probably won't look like the g310r because ultimately, they may share the same engine but it's not a BMW and BMW probably wants to keep their brand somewhat exclusive.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Probably won't look like the g310r because ultimately, they may share the same engine but it's not a BMW and BMW probably wants to keep their brand somewhat exclusive.
Indeed, they'll want to keep design from the two different especially with the difference in price going on .

·
Registered
1 Posts
TVS has finally released the faired version, named Apache RR310. Priced very competitively at 205000 INR Ex-showroom (3200 USD). Delivery is expected to start from next year in India.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After understanding the G310R a bit more, I do want to get one of these RR310 as a larger track bike. This will compliment the Grom and R1200GS for all the kind of riding I enjoy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G310R is a TVS with a BMW badge. Sure they say they developed it but they never actually build it. I'm really hoping for more interchangeable OEM/3rd Party Aftermarket parts availability once this is officially launched on its home county. Hoping for a slipper clutch for this to give my neck a break. ü

Back in the late 90's I remember my dad bought a Musso on our local Mercedes dealer but it was made by Ssang Yong in Korea. It has a Merc stamp on its engine, but the quality of it is pretty far from the real thing compared to my mom's W202 back then. Out of warranty later my dad received a recall letter and have it brought to service. The recall is just for the mandatory removal of Mercedes Badge on it and be replaced by a Ssang Yong badge and instructions that all service of Musso wil be redirected on an authorized Ssang Yong Service. Even now, Ssang Yong is almost non existent in my country, their service however is like a backyard workshop last time I saw it.

Funny experience and a well learned lesson for my dad.

It might end up the same with TVS. I have yet to see a TVS dealer/Service in my country though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The G310's are BMW Germany designed and assembled by BMW trained workers at TVS in India. Much like KTM, Honda, Yamaha, and
other manufacturers do to keep costs down by using less expensive labourers.
If they pulled the BMW roundel off the motorcycle after the warranty expired, their credibility would be shot.
This is their way of producing a less expensive BMW in hopes of luring newer riders to their brand.
But if you check the thread here "Owner Demographics" that's not who is buying the bikes, closer to 50ish males.
The big displacement motorcycle popularity is slowing down rapidly, that's why even HD is making 500-750cc bikes now.
It's an old saying and I've said it before here..."It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back in the late 90's I remember my dad bought a Musso on our local Mercedes dealer but it was made by Ssang Yong in Korea. It has a Merc stamp on its engine, but the quality of it is pretty far from the real thing compared to my mom's W202 back then.
Kind of off-topic, but my dad bought a Musso in '95 and as of today it is still running and being used daily.

An alliance with another manufacturer doesn't means bad quality, it means taking advantage of each company strenghts. Maybe the same will happen with the G310R.

·
Registered
82 Posts
TVS Apache 310RR

BMW designed the engine-tranny in house in Munich. They then spent a large fortune on installing the most modern manufacturing tools in the world into the TVS factory. From precision casting to precision machining, to precision inspection equipment, to clean rooms and state of the art assembly operations, no expense was spared. Vendors producing parts that were not made in-house, were held to very strict manufacturing and inspection standards almost unheard of in India. What has happened at TVS will raise the bar to other competitors. Do it better or suffer the sales setbacks that will result.

In my humble opinion the BMW/TVS relationship has been the best thing that could happen to the motorcycle industry in India. All the manufacturers are going to have to get better to successfully compete which is wonderful for the whole country as well as the whole world motorcycle industry. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about making it cheaper. In my region; the nearest competitor is a KTM Duke 390, $680 USD cheaper than a G310R here. It has a higher displacement, comes with riding modes and with a TFT instrument cluster. I still bought the G310R as my first bike, coz out of the box, it's the only bike low enough where I could fully plant both of my feet on the ground for more riding confidence. It's definitely an overpriced beginner naked bike IMO with only an ABS to justify its price tag.

That 780mm seat height was the selling point for me. I'm only 5'6" I can't be tip toeing on public roads while I rack up real world riding skills. KTM's lack of OEM lowering options and aggressive modifications to lower that 830mm seat height made me shy away from them.

I never said partnership is a bad thing, but with our experience on Merc/Ssangyong, kinda awkward to have owned a Musso. LOL

Too early to tell the success of this line though. Who knows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts