BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my home from work on Friday, I picked up a screw in the thickest part my rear tyre, it was only a small one and when I pulled it out did not have any pressure loss.
I have set the pressure and keep checking it, no pressure loss. But I have only done 20 miles since.
I am concerned that the tyre will fail in near future and / or the carcass of the tyre may have been compromised. I seem to have lost confidence in the tyre to be honest.
I may have to change the tyre, I have factory fitted Metzeler Tourance tyres fitted. What alternative tyres are there, bike is 90% road use.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my home from work on Friday, I picked up a screw in the thickest part my rear tyre, it was only a small one and when I pulled it out did not have any pressure loss.
I have set the pressure and keep checking it, no pressure loss. But I have only done 20 miles since.
I am concerned that the tyre will fail in near future and / or the carcass of the tyre may have been compromised. I seem to have lost confidence in the tyre to be honest.
I may have to change the tyre, I have factory fitted Metzeler Tourance tyres fitted. What alternative tyres are there, bike is 90% road use.
Have the hole reamed and plug patched. Some insist on a patch-plug but to use the latter the tire needs to come off the rim.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Have the hole reamed and plug patched. Some insist on a patch-plug but to use the latter the tire needs to come off the rim.
yes, it is generally better to patch the hole from inside. easy for any professional. but if you ride slow, the regular plug should do the job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How far had the screw gone into the tyre, how long was it?
If it only went into the tread you will be fine. If it went further than the lowest part of the tread (the grooved part) then l wouldn’t trust the tyre.

With a car it’s not so bad, but lose the pressure in a bike tyre and you are likely to be about to test the abrasion qualities of your leathers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts