BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m fortunate enough that where I live, 20 minutes after leaving my house I can be up in twisting, undulating roads where you need to use your gears and some of your tyre curvature.
Having said that I’m DEFINITELY not an aggressive rider; quite the opposite in fact, but I’ve noticed that my front tyre is wearing noticeably faster than my rear, despite my riding style relying a lot on engine braking!
Within the next few months I need to be changing my tyres and after looking at my front, I’m thinking of putting a more street tyre on the front and a more 50:50 choice on the rear.
Is this wise to do? Or is mixing tyres a complete NO NO!
Cirrently I’ve done 11,000 km. Front is 75% worn but the rear less than 50%!
You can see that the front has more wear 20 to 30 degrees off the the centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
The off-center wear is normal and you will find that it will be on different sides depending on what side of the road you ride on due to the camber of roads.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would watch that engine braking especially in a turn. How fast are you going that you mostly rely on engine braking? Granted flipping off the throttle on the small single cylinders slows you down immediately, but you still need to use front brake to stop unless there is no traffic and you have a lot of time to come to a stop. Ah, I just noticed the flag, Your in the Philippines, traffic is usually pretty bad there, are you in the provinces?
The road is probably leaning to one side more than normal for rain runoff. But still, watch use of rear braking and engine braking when turning because rear wheel could slide putting you on the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts