BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though I can strip my RT in my sleep today was the first time to remove the bodywork from the 310GS. I installed Wunderlich bar risers and started prepping for an Eastern Beaver PC-8 power distribution unit to power a few accessories - USB, some heated gear, GPS, etc. Lots of fasteners but the primary bodywork comes off in one piece. In any case I snapped a couple of photos sans bodywork.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gerald, a couple of questions.
Did you order the protective diode as well?
Also, where do you figure to mount the PC-8?
Eastern Beaver is my choice as in the past, for a power box.
Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gerald, a couple of questions.
Did you order the protective diode as well?
Also, where do you figure to mount the PC-8?
Eastern Beaver is my choice as in the past, for a power box.
Rick
Hi Rick - I did not order the diode harness since this bike is not CANBUS and that was the reason for doing so for my RT. I played with it a bit and have decided to install the PC-8 in the rear tray under the seat, where the OEM tool pouch is kept. I moved the tool pouch to my tank bag. That tray is protected from beneath and should have minimal exposure to water, mud, etc. It also allows easy access For the battery connection. Unfortunately I missed the attempted delivery of the PC-8 yesterday and will have to wait until Tuesday as tomorrow is a public holiday... I completed all of the wiring so once it arrives it will be a quick task to complete. I will take a photo and post when complete. GLM

·
Registered
469 Posts
Gerald,
Doh, forgot that about these bikes not being Canbus.
Appreciate the advice about locating the box, sounds like a great spot, hope it fits, let us know please.
Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised, here are a few photos of the Eastern Beaver PC-8 installed in the rear compartment under the seat where the OEM toolkit was stored. Thus far I have wired for front and rear Skene conspicuity lighting, a USB power connection for my phone, an LED voltmeter and an open connection for connecting heated gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nice install, Gerald. Very tidy. I’ve ordered their 3CS-S 3-outlet setup, which is little more than a fused harness with a relay, and should allow me to keep the tools where they are. Right now I don’t think I’ll ever need more than 3 connections (2 switched, 1 unswitched), but...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That does look nice and tidy! Where have you or are you going to put the usb socket?
I just wired mine with zip ties to one of the cables by the clutch. It’s an in-line connector with weather cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
How did you go working out where all those screws belonged on re-assembly?
Another trick is to get a flat piece of cardboard, sketch out the part you're removing screws from, poke holes where the screws are and insert the screws in the holes as you take them out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another nice unit is the Fuzeblock

Fuzeblocks FZ-1 Distribution Block

A bit pricier than the PC-8, but it gives you the ability to select switched or unswitched output for each circuit. Each fuse position has 3 connectors A-B-C. You connect the fuse to A-B for unswitched or B-C for switched.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As promised, here are a few photos of the Eastern Beaver PC-8 installed in the rear compartment under the seat where the OEM toolkit was stored. Thus far I have wired for front and rear Skene conspicuity lighting, a USB power connection for my phone, an LED voltmeter and an open connection for connecting heated gear.
Gerald,
I am adding the Skene P3 w/decel and TS to my G310R.
I got the LED wiring routed to under the seat like you did.
The turn signals are straight forward for left and right. Each have a Brown and Blue. Brown would be ground

Do you remember the wire colors for the Brake lights?
I stripped the large harness and found two sub-bundles of wires;

#1 bundle
Gray
Orange-White
#2 bundle
Black-White
Orange-White
Grey-Red

I would assume the the brake light is a three wire so the #2 bundle with three wires would be the brake
Both bundles have Orange-White so would this be ground?
So one is to light the break and the other would be when brake is applied?

Any insight would save me a lot of time.

Many thanks,
BryanC

·
Registered
335 Posts
So one is to light the break and the other would be when brake is applied?
Ground, Tail lamp and Brake lamp, actually.

If no wisdom here as to which wire is which, take a fine straight pin (the thinnest you can find - look for "silk pins"), stick it in the wire and put your multimeter on it to check for voltage. A pin will do very little damage to the wire's insulation, as the insulation will tend to heal itself if the hole is small enough.

And use Posi Tap connectors to tap into the wires as they will do the least damage.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
A question for the collective - I appreciate a multi-distribution block is a great idea if you want to run multiple accessories, but can anyone confirm if the G310GS has a simple auxiliary connector somewhere around the cockpit (eg. behind the headlamp/speedo cowl) for hooking up a USB socket or GPS power supply - ideally one that is switched with the ignition.

I appreciate you can always tap into the side/running light circuit on the headlamp, for a low-powered device like a GPS cradle, but I wondered if the BMW has a dedicated fused connector hidden behind there too?

Many thanks in advance...

Jenny x

ps. Out of interest, where do/would the factory heated-grips plug in for example? - I can't imagine you need to run a cable all the way back to the battery for that?

·
Registered
199 Posts
A question for the collective - I appreciate a multi-distribution block is a great idea if you want to run multiple accessories, but can anyone confirm if the G310GS has a simple auxiliary connector somewhere around the cockpit (eg. behind the headlamp/speedo cowl) for hooking up a USB socket or GPS power supply - ideally one that is switched with the ignition.

I appreciate you can always tap into the side/running light circuit on the headlamp, for a low-powered device like a GPS cradle, but I wondered if the BMW has a dedicated fused connector hidden behind there too?

Many thanks in advance...

Jenny x

ps. Out of interest, where do/would the factory heated-grips plug in for example? - I can't imagine you need to run a cable all the way back to the battery for that?
I can't speak for the G310GS but on the G310R, there is a connector behind the headlight which has a blanking cover - it is the middle connector below the speedo dash. The positive lead is the orange coloured one. I suspect it is the connector that BMW use for their heated grips. Hopefully, you will find a similar connector in the area behind the G310GS headlight.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I appreciate you can always tap into the side/running light circuit on the headlamp, for a low-powered device...
FWIW, the only thing that I tap into the bike's wiring harness is for a milliamp trigger circuit to drive a relay. ANYTHING that needs power to operate is from a dedicated fused distribution block.

Initially, I'll be running circuits from my Fuzeblock to a Powerlet socket for a GPS, a voltage monitor LED, a set of Hyperlites and auxiliary lighting. That's 4 circuits out of 6 available.

20+ years as an Air Force communications tech and 25+ years designing, building & running data centers for a major credit card company have taught me to keep things as simple and separate as possible. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
FWIW, the only thing that I tap into the bike's wiring harness is for a milliamp trigger circuit to drive a relay. ANYTHING that needs power to operate is from a dedicated fused distribution block.

Initially, I'll be running circuits from my Fuzeblock to a Powerlet socket for a GPS, a voltage monitor LED, a set of Hyperlites and auxiliary lighting. That's 4 circuits out of 6 available.

20+ years as an Air Force communications tech and 25+ years designing, building & running data centers for a major credit card company have taught me to keep things as simple and separate as possible. :wink2:
I agree - my suggestion in using the side-light circuit was only if nothing else [switched] was readily available in the cockpit area... A GPS cradle draws minimal current, and the side/parking light (those on a separate 5w bulb) is basically superfluous these days anyway - as bikes tend to have their low-beam on as a DRL instead once the engine is running; plus running a 1-2A GPS off that feed is not going to compromise that circuit anyway.

Glad to hear there should be a dedicated switched aux socket behind there too though - saves me pulling a load of bodywork off next month!

Jx

·
Registered
158 Posts
There are 2 power connectors located on the G310GS located inside the instrument cowl on the left side if looking at if from the seated position. The problem is they seem to be only for the BMW Hella power outlet which then require Hella style plugs and adapters for everything you wish to connect.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts