BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their exhaust and if so, how did it go? Did it make any difference to the performance of the bike? The main question would be was it good value for your money?

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you’re looking for performance improvement, the dollar-to-performance gain ratio is minimal and in that sense, maybe not worth it.
It appears the maximum gain achievable is in the range of 2-3 HP and is happening in the higher RPM range.
If you’re looking to shave some weight and enjoy a different sound from your bike, then you’re the sole judge as if it’s worth your money or not.
A lot of the exhaust sold are without catalytic converter and so are intended for close-circuit/race only, but of course many people use them on the street anyway. Depending on where you live (how hard is the law applied), this could be a factor of decision also.
Many members of the forum have changed it, quick search on the topics here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, on the 310 they don't provide any real world performance gains and at best shave a couple of kilos from the bike.
They do, however, provide a different sound and look. You may run foul of your authorities, having bypassed the cat (thus interring with local anti pollution strategies) or exceeding decibel restrictions.

So no power gains. Are they worth the money? On the basis of what I have said above, no.
But it's your money, and if you wish to spend it on a pipe, go for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, that’s my thinking on the subject but just thought I ask incase someone had done the conversion and what results they got. I’ll spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hola, install a new Akrapovic on my GS310, very little difference in performance , definitely a lot louder than stock, may need to purchase a silencer. Here in Mexico the complete system was almost $600 usa dollars

·
Registered
751 Posts
spending money on our bikes is tricky subject. shaving a few kg and getting rid of the the ugly oem exhaust is in my opinion justified. i really don't like the carbon version of exhaust. especially on adventure bike. any stone can make a hole in it. stainless version just makes much more sense to me, and is road legal because no one can verify if you really fitted CAT convertor inside it or not. it is also much more quiet and pretty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Such a shame BMW did not make the baffle removable or make the exhaust suitable for slip on's.

At the moment I am keeping an eye out for second hand akra's on ebay but I think I could be waiting a while. Anyone dabbled in the cheaper brands like dominator or brought a mid pipe and a slip on?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Such a shame BMW did not make the baffle removable or make the exhaust suitable for slip on's.

At the moment I am keeping an eye out for second hand akra's on ebay but I think I could be waiting a while. Anyone dabbled in the cheaper brands like dominator or brought a mid pipe and a slip on?[/QU

I am sure you can find cheaper exhaust, but be aware that they my be very loud. I tried myself a few, and I could not handle it. As to bmw not making removable baffle, there is no baffle there to be removed. no company is making such a system. However, to create as system where slip-one is separate from the header is common. no idea why bmw did not do it.

·
Super Moderator
955 Posts

At the moment I am keeping an eye out for second hand akra's on ebay but I think I could be waiting a while. Anyone dabbled in the cheaper brands like dominator or brought a mid pipe and a slip on?[/QU

I am sure you can find cheaper exhaust, but be aware that they my be very loud. I tried myself a few, and I could not handle it. As to bmw not making removable baffle, there is no baffle there to be removed. no company is making such a system. However, to create as system where slip-one is separate from the header is common. no idea why bmw did not do it.

Yes, there was a member that fitted a dominator (I think) to his GS, there are a couple of posts on this forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts