BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there,
I'm using my G310Gs mainly offroad for little trails outside m y city. Mainly loose rocks and sandy floor.
Does anybody have already upgraded the suspension for the RallyRaid one that could tell me if is it really worth it or not?
It is a big investment and I'm afraid that it could not represent a big difference.
side note. already have Michelin Anakee Wild tires on
Cheers
D

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
HI there,
I'm using my G310Gs mainly offroad for little trails outside m y city. Mainly loose rocks and sandy floor.
Does anybody have already upgraded the suspension for the RallyRaid one that could tell me if is it really worth it or not?
It is a big investment and I'm afraid that it could not represent a big difference.
side note. already have Michelin Anakee Wild tires on
Cheers
D
I have done mine with the level 2 front and rear this gave me a lift of 20mm as well. Made a huge difference especially to the front. I can now use my front brakes without feeling like I was going to have to scrape my nose of the road surface. It feels like a very different bike and was well worth the money I spent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Didac - I fitted the LEVEL 1 (standard travel length) suspension and wheels on mine, and as driverkelly says - it makes a huge difference over the standard suspension components, especially if you want to ride off-road more seriously.

The is a ride report here about my bike from last summer:

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/370-rally-raid-products/8088-beemer-beemer-chicken-deener-ride-report.html

Plus a video from Moab with my bike Juan and I shot last year too:

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Didac - I fitted the LEVEL 1 (standard travel length) suspension and wheels on mine, and as driverkelly says - it makes a huge difference over the standard suspension components, especially if you want to ride off-road more seriously.

The is a ride report here about my bike from last summer:

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/370-rally-raid-products/8088-beemer-beemer-chicken-deener-ride-report.html

Plus a video from Moab with my bike Juan and I shot last year too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4gZdkWgW8

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
I was hesitating between level 1 and 2. I saw level 2 has an additional cylinder, that is a damper system right? So level 2 is not just 20mm higher also has better performance?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was hesitating between level 1 and 2. I saw level 2 has an additional cylinder, that is a damper system right? So level 2 is not just 20mm higher also has better performance?
both level 1 and 2 have damping/compression control. the level 2 is very sophisticated as allows you to adjust low and high speed damping/compression. i don't think it is needed for such a basic bike. i installed hyperpro springs on the front and Tractive shock on the rear, and both work great.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just upgraded my suspension to Rally Raid Products level 1 suspension. Wow! what a diference it made. The Rally Raid level 1 suspension kit gave me a bike that feels much more stabil and gives me a new level of confidence in traction. I haven't teseted the bike off road, yet. But on small winding back roads and dirt roads, it's a dream to drive. At first I didn't notice a very big diference, until I looked at my speedo. I realized I was driving aprox 30% faster on same roads as before. For me it was well invested money. On highways I still keep to the speed limits but the bike feels soooo much more stabile.
I've done some other upgrades too, but those are of less importance.

The worst with this bike is: it's a cheap entry level bike for the Asian market. That's why it doesn't have exclusive suspension components.
The best with this bike is: it's a cheap bike to start to bild a good bike from. There's no need to toss away expensive components in exchange for good components. I hade to do that on my former R1200GS (R.I.P), to get her rideable.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just upgraded my suspension to Rally Raid Products level 1 suspension. Wow! what a diference it made. The Rally Raid level 1 suspension kit gave me a bike that feels much more stabil and gives me a new level of confidence in traction. I haven't teseted the bike off road, yet. But on small winding back roads and dirt roads, it's a dream to drive. At first I didn't notice a very big diference, until I looked at my speedo. I realized I was driving aprox 30% faster on same roads as before. For me it was well invested money. On highways I still keep to the speed limits but the bike feels soooo much more stabile.
I've done some other upgrades too, but those are of less importance.

The worst with this bike is: it's a cheap entry level bike for the Asian market. That's why it doesn't have exclusive suspension components.
The best with this bike is: it's a cheap bike to start to bild a good bike from. There's no need to toss away expensive components in exchange for good components. I hade to do that on my former R1200GS (R.I.P), to get her rideable.
this is what is nice about getting cheaper bike - you can fit all the expensive accessories and make it to your liking :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks a lot to all comments, guys!!
I think it is clear that the upgrade is valid and worth the investment.
I'm just concerned a bit that as I stated before, I mainly use it off-road and maybe I could buy a more dirt bike instead of trying to convert this baby GS into something similiar...the only reason I didn't do that yet is because I love the GS look (and hate pretty much all the dirt bikes look) and also because sometimes I go 50-60km away to do some trails and then this bike performs very fine on asphalt.
At the end, one cant have it all, right?
I might go for the level 1 rear and front and let yous guys know.
Thanks a lot once again for all replies!!!
D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with those who've done Rally Raid suspension upgrades (I've got the Level 2 kit). It turned the bike into a fully-blown Adventure/Enduro bike, it is now well balanced when braking, taking hits and when jumping. It feels light, nimble and is superb on technical single track ... I can take it places the bigger GS's can't touch. If you do real off-road/enduro/adventure riding, this is a must do mod.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been enjoying my lvl 2 kit, and have been taking this thing places I wouldn't have liked with my F650. I'm a relative noob off-road- plenty of mountain biking in college, but different with a motor. I'm becoming competent, and have followed some dirt bike tracks up and down some gnarly stuff. Tires will help you make a choice too. When you get to where the bears go, you're in good company. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
As if you needed any more convincing, RUST magazine in the UK tested the LEVEL 2 bike recently, and was impress with just how dirt-worthy it had become:

https://www.rustsports.com/bikes/adventure/rally-raid-products-bmw-g-310-gs_9557.html

Note there are a couple of errors in their text: the LEVEL 1 suspension kit is also replacement shock and fork spring/preload cap kit too, just standard travel length, and without the reservoir on the shock.

The cost of the complete front and rear LEVEL 2 kit is £958 (£799 + 20% VAT in UK/EU)- not just the shock.

Jx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts