BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
Try yss rear shock.
Then , replace fork spring to kyava 36×345cm(with extension part). Witch give you more ground clearance and aggressive look.total cost 440 usd!!
Anything you replace the stock suspension components with is an upgrade. The price for the OE coil spring unit from one supplier is € 179.08 and the rear suspension unit is € 172.98. A total of € 343.- for components that are at best mediocre. Adding roughly U$D 100 should give you a good and useful suspension. I, as JerryG am happy with my RR level 1 upgrade for around € 1 000.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
There is no YSS shock for the G310GS per this site: YSS Fitments for Bmw Motorcycles

When I search on "kyava 36x245", I don't get anything having to do with suspensions.

Please provide links to G310GS specific items. Thank you.
I think he is refering to Kayaba Suspension. Google translator (or whatever he uses) could have problems translating correctly from Hebrew. At least I suppose his native language is Hebrew. Google Translator isn't very good at Finnish ether.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
@rzrian1 Thank you.

I have only 6,000 miles (~10,000 km) before I have to pay to have my RR shock serviced or I have to replace it. So, these discussions are helpful.

I see what you mean on price. Including shipping to me in the US...
My RR Level 1 low shock and RR Level 1 Fork Kit cost $720.93.
The YSS shock and KYB fork springs you recommend cost $568.15.
So, the savings amount to $153.78.

The shocks are reasonably comparable:
Both are pre-load adjustable and both can be lowered some.

The forks are NOT reasonably comparable:
The RR fork kit is pre-load adjustable and has two spring rates available.
The KYB "kit" is just new springs with no pre-load adjustability and no spring rate options.

My questions:
(1) Is the above a good description of these two options? Have I missed something?
(2) Is there anyone that has had both and said they perform the same or that the KYB/YSS combination is better?

Again, thank you.
JerryG

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
....before I have to pay to have my RR shock serviced or I have to replace it
I've only serviced my RR (Tractive) rear strut once and the cost for it was only € 150. The guy who did the service used to work for WP suspension in Holland. He said the tractive shock absorber is more or less same design as WP used. As I understand the Tractive guys are mostly former WP employees who didn't move over when KTM took over WP. I might be wrong on this.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Good info. Thanks. How many km did it have? Was it showing signs or were you being proactive? There are some former Ohlins people who do the same service near me. For that matter, Ohlins now owned by Andreani, is just 6 miles from me.

· Registered
G310GS 2018
802 Posts
Good info. Thanks. How many km did it have? Was it showing signs or were you being proactive? There are some former Ohlins people who do the same service near me. For that matter, Ohlins now owned by Andreani, is just 6 miles from me.
I thought it a good idea after using it a year and a half before riding the FInnish part of the T.E.T. I may have had some 10,000 km on it. During the week it was at the work shop, I used the OE shock. I didn't notice a big difference until after I reinstalled the RR shock. My bike felt almost like a new bike with the serviced unit, compared to the almost un-used OE.
In your case I would ask the Öhlins guys if the can service your RR/Tractive unit. It's made to be serviced, the BMW shock isn't, it's made to be replaced when worn out.

· Registered
68 Posts

· Premium Member
614 Posts
I thought it a good idea after using it a year and a half before riding the FInnish part of the T.E.T. I may have had some 10,000 km on it. During the week it was at the work shop, I used the OE shock. I didn't notice a big difference until after I reinstalled the RR shock. My bike felt almost like a new bike with the serviced unit, compared to the almost un-used OE.
In your case I would ask the Öhlins guys if the can service your RR/Tractive unit. It's made to be serviced, the BMW shock isn't, it's made to be replaced when worn out.
With @ARBOLMANO telling me the same thing and the CABDR and MABDR coming up, I will. Especially given that I have twice your 6,000 km. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts