BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me the other day that since my first set of wheels acquired in 1979 for my 16th Birthday - a 1975 Puch Maxi Sport with 2 yes 2 BHP, I have always suffered from Upgradeitus. It's a well known medical condition mainly affecting men where we just cannot leave motor vehicles as the manufacturer made them but have to upgrade them in some way. This condition has always been with me despite never getting back the money spent on numerous cars and motorbikes over the years. I have now accepted this as a lifelong "chronic" incurable condition that will baffle medical science until the day I take take my last ride.

My 310GS has been no different and since taking delivery at the end of September 2019 I have suffered terribly with Upgradeitus as demonstrated by the following symptoms fitted to my bike.

• Powerbronze Tinted Screen with GS Logo
  • Rally Raid Engine Guard with GS Logo
  • Bark Busters Hand Guards with VPS finishers
  • Oxford Advanced 9 stage Heated Grips
  • Dominator HP1 Exhaust System
  • R&G Radiator Guard
  • R&G Side Stand Foot Enlarger
  • GIVI Tank Bag & Mounting Ring
  • BMW 30 litre Top Box & Mount
  • Upgraded Enduroline ENTX9-BS Battery 9Ah & 165CCA
  • Speedo Angels Screen Protector
  • 2 x Liberal Coatings of ACF50
If anyone has a cure for this terrible affliction my bank balance, spare time, holiday fund and wife would be very grateful.

If however as I suspect, you are a fellow sufferer of Upgradeitus, please don't suffer in silence but share your experience of how this terrible condition has affected you. It must be even worse in these lock down times with time on our hands and suppliers of lovely upgrades only a click away on the internet. Be as detailed as you wish, just remember to hide your post away from anyone in your home who may not know how badly you are suffering! ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fortunately, mine is not too bad and mostly lies in power. Akrapovic carbon Fiber exhaust. I don't know if I will splurge for a PC5 unit as I am kind of pissed that they just don't go between ECU and wiring harness so you do not have to tear your bike apart to make every connection, then hope you did it right. I did it for the KTM RC390. Luckily my Hyosung GD250R can take an ECU Flash which I will try if the weather ever warms up.

I got an SW Motech Skid Plate tyhat I CeraKoted in Gold which looks nice.
DSCN1581.JPG
SW Moto Skid Plate 09.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
i collected my 19 reg G310GS the beginning of January 2020 and so with bad weather and the lock down i have not had much chance to ride it ...but that has not stopped the upgrades on the bike and my equipment
TomTom rider 550
Ram phone holder with X phone holder
Changed the X holder to quad lock system
Centre stand
Seat to special made low seat
my personal upgrades
New shark flip front helmet
Cardo Freecom 2+ so now voices from tom tom and phone radio in my helmet
New Alpinestar adventure boots

Waiting for Barbuster grip covers and vps covers to arrive
Looking at Givi engine protector bars as they mount to frame and not the engine
Also investigating a under belly skid frame that can be used with a centre stand.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, you might have to remove SW Motech Skidplate to change oil. See oil filter front behind plate.
DSCN1631.JPG

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been telling everyone I can to replace their stock air filter with a BMC air filter. It made a -huge- difference in the throttle response across RPM and gears.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would that not weaken the mixture or will the ECU compensate by adding more fuel for the additional air flow?

I had better throttle response with the Dominator HP1 exhaust, what is the effect of the BMC air filter and a free flowing exhaust?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I'm very much the opposite. I tend to be quite impressed with what the manufacturers give us, and generally have zero interest in making changes. I'm not an engineer and I figure they know better than me. Whether the BMW or my '69 Mercedes, or '90 Bronco or '86 300 ZX - if it runs as originally designed, I'm a very happy camper! Good for the wallet I guess, when I see how much mullah somd spend on all those aftermarket 'stuffs'... well to each their own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would that not weaken the mixture or will the ECU compensate by adding more fuel for the additional air flow?

I had better throttle response with the Dominator HP1 exhaust, what is the effect of the BMC air filter and a free flowing exhaust?
In my experience it has not weakened the performance, it increased torque noticeably and raised my top speed somewhat. Maybe 2-3 mph.

I would expect that a BMC filter combined with your exhaust would further increase performance.

Also, I didn't notice any impact on my fuel economy, but I'll see if I can put numbers to that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts