BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received a letter titled 'Urgent Recall'
It appears that all G310 GS and R are being recalled for the brakes to be looked at by the dealer. Initially its an inspection by the dealer.
Now whether this is UK only or Worldwide I don't know. letter came from BMW UK.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have booked my bike in with dealer, they keeping quiet about full reason, in fact weren't saying much at all, except its just to check brake calipers, should only take 15 minutes.
This applies to UK bikes only.
I tried to check on the Dept of Transport website to post on here for everyone to see the recall information. But they not showing anything.

·
Registered
751 Posts
so is the problem with callipers themselves or how they are linked to ABS? there is channel connecting callipers to abs, so if one of the rotors gets locked, the abs kicks in. my brakes seem to work adequately, and so does the ABS. i have given it some tests by locking the wheels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The problem is that the pistons stick because of corrosion to the piston bodies. The corrosion is caused by road salt because there are no rubber boots in the caliper.
Do they replace the caliper with one with rubber boots? Trying to decide if its worth going to the dealer as a priority or whether they just want to give a quick visual inspection. Bit of a faff but then again I rode all winter last year and like my brakes to work :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
so can someone tell me what is the actual issue with the old stock calipers? It has been actually my hobby to play with the braking systems, from changing the master cylinders to calipers. In some of my bikes, I changed both. but in all my bikes I changed MC.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Do they replace the caliper with one with rubber boots? Trying to decide if its worth going to the dealer as a priority or whether they just want to give a quick visual inspection. Bit of a faff but then again I rode all winter last year and like my brakes to work :)
if they change the callipers, so of course together with the rubber boots. it is one system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took my bike in on Saturday to the dealer.
First of all they do a visual check on the calipers and then replace if need be. They state that on 75% of bikes they are replacing the calipers, that is what they did on mine. Seems as if water is getting behind the seal and has the potential to corrode the pistons, or so they say. Whole process took just over an hour. But they provided a coffee.

Wandering round the showroom as you do - I noticed that the rear light unit on some of the new Boxers was the same as the 310 GS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if they change the callipers, so of course together with the rubber boots. it is one system.
I asked about if mine was due to be recalled, I was told mine were inpected when in for something else. The after sales guy told me there no rubber boots on them now which is why only the uk is being done (too much salt on the roads in winter)

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
I had mine checked at the last service, Australia obviously doesn't use salt on the roads, but BMW was concerned about moisture getting into the rear brake fluid through the rubber hose connected to the reservoir, in high humidity environments. No problem was found and I've had my bike for a little over two years now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
most of us who have had this 'inspection' have had new calipers F & R.
It'll take more than 15 mins..!!
[more info in Recall Section]

You'll be right. According to what I was reading in the .gov site the problem is corrosion on the bores of the caliper thus requiring pistons fully removed, with concomitant fluid replacement, in order to do an inspection.

My SV 650, though not used on salty roads, needed regular cleaning of the corrosion behind the seals. It's a design fault on all modern bikes with the desire to save weight on the calipers, so they don't have the extra bulk to carry the rubber boot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Kris. When I had my R in for the 2nd service a few weeks ago, I also had the brake recall done. Both callipers were replaced and I was told it was because of the possibility of corrosion from the salt etc which is used in winter on the UK roads. My bike is a 17 model and, apparently had slight corrosion inside the callipers- so they replaced both front and back. I think the recall is only a UK thing (?)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kris. When I had my R in for the 2nd service a few weeks ago, I also had the brake recall done. Both callipers were replaced and I was told it was because of the possibility of corrosion from the salt etc which is used in winter on the UK roads. My bike is a 17 model and, apparently had slight corrosion inside the callipers- so they replaced both front and back. I think the recall is only a UK thing (?)
Yes, it is possible, the salt. I live in Asia, so no salt on the road. But I also take care of my callipers. Every season, I clean them very well. To clean the pistons, you need to pump the brake levers so the pistons come out and then you clean then with brake cleaner and use some brake fluid on them. In the rear sliding calliper (on our bike) you need to put silicone grease on all the sliding parts, every one or two years. I meet many bikers that never do it. Good brakes can save our life.

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to the information on the DVSA website the recall is due to corrosion on the bores of the calipers (most likely behind the seals, as is usual).

The wording of the recall letter is less specific and refers to "corrosion that may occur on the brakes" and goes on to say this corrosion "may cause functional limitations".

Further, it says that calipers "will be replaced where needed to prevent possible functional limitations". Note the word prevent rather than make good, implying some change that will avoid future problems.

Now, if the replacements are the same as the originals then they are unlikely to prevent sticking in future.

Also, if the originals are alright when inspected then it is reasonable to assume they will be affected at a later date so should be replaced anyway to "prevent possible functional limitations".

If the new caliper is of a different design (I can't see it having a boot) then surely it is needed on all to prevent future problems.

While it is good that BMW are doing something about a problem which affects almost every modern motorcycle it looks like it can only be a temporary fix. Or can anyone confirm that the replacements are of a different design?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts