BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Need some advice. My dealer fitted oxford USB charger to my bike and wired it direct to the battery. He did a really neat job of fitting the harness but Im concerned is it will eventually drain my battery over time when bike is not in use. Can anyone recommend a better install option or can I just splice the wires and install an "on-off switch" between USB unit and the battery? At the moment Im just disconnecting battery neg terminals when bike is parked up for a few days.

Im not too savvy with electrics so any advice is really appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the USB-charger (12v to 5v) is connected direct to the battery it shall drain your battery. Therefore my USB is linked to a cable with no power if the ignition is off. Yesterday done so by BMW in Hannover. If directly to connect to the battery chose an USB with a switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
It shouldn't drain the battery unless you leave something charging on it while it isn't running.
I'm not so sure about that. Consumtion will be very low of course, but like any voltage converter, it's not neutral when not in use. That's why I ordered a USB plug with a power switch.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi,
Need some advice. My dealer fitted oxford USB charger to my bike and wired it direct to the battery. He did a really neat job of fitting the harness but Im concerned is it will eventually drain my battery over time when bike is not in use. Can anyone recommend a better install option or can I just splice the wires and install an "on-off switch" between USB unit and the battery? At the moment Im just disconnecting battery neg terminals when bike is parked up for a few days.

Im not too savvy with electrics so any advice is really appreciated.
Sure you can connect direct to the battery and deal with the wiring, fuse and "always-ON" situation, like on any old bike...
But all this, including adding a switch and/or disconnecting yourself the battery when the bike is parked just sound very counter-productive:
Why not take advantage of your G310 having 2 two accessory ports available, already fuse-protected and OFF when ignition is OFF?
Apparently your dealer does not know much about the bike.:crying:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts