BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I know there are many threads on this subject but I can't find the answer I am looking for.
1. I read that the headlight needs to be removed to access the accessory plug to plug in a USB. What is the easiest way to access behind the headlight?
2. Can someone send me a link to a "plug and play" (preferably dual) USB port that goes directly into this accessory plug. I found one style on eBay that's circular and mounts to the handlebar but I don't like it. Looking for a small square one to just come out from under the handlebar freely.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
It’s a smart play to install a combination USB port with a voltmeter to facilitate monitoring your charging system/bat ray. Great picts here if search. Removin* the headlight is the easy access to plugs. There is a port available from dealer, plugs into hole in dash, but you’ll still have to remove headlight to install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It’s a smart play to install a combination USB port with a voltmeter to facilitate monitoring your charging system/bat ray. Great picts here if search. Removin* the headlight is the easy access to plugs. There is a port available from dealer, plugs into hole in dash, but you’ll still have to remove headlight to install.
I think you’re talking about the GS, there is no hole in the dash on the R.. the front headlight doesn’t have to come off, remove two bolts and then the headlight can be swung outward and down to expose the wiring harness and the spare socket for accessories. The socket is tied back with a cable tie.

It would have been nice if there was a location hole on the dash for a socket..

Of course, I could be talking utter rubbish if the newer models have a different dash to mine :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah I think newer iteration has four bolts for the headlight on both models. Bummer the r has no ho. The plastic is however very easy to fashion a hole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you get one of those ebay round handlebar USB sockets with the big rubber cap on it, just check the polarity of the plug before you use it.
I ordered two of them for my 22 GS as I just wanted the plugs, but when I wired it up to my GPS/voltmeter, nothing happened. checked the polarity and the red and black was back to front on the plug so had to cut the wires and re wire them.
the ebay seller advised to pull the pins out and place them back in the correct positions but I was unable to remove them and id say I would probably damage them by doing so if I did

·
Registered
22 Posts
if you get one of those ebay round handlebar USB sockets with the big rubber cap on it, just check the polarity of the plug before you use it.
I ordered two of them for my 22 GS as I just wanted the plugs, but when I wired it up to my GPS/voltmeter, nothing happened. checked the polarity and the red and black was back to front on the plug so had to cut the wires and re wire them.
the ebay seller advised to pull the pins out and place them back in the correct positions but I was unable to remove them and id say I would probably damage them by doing so if I did
I bought the slightly dearer Oxford version, looks identical to the cheaper e-bay ones ( possibly the same manufacturer ). I had no problem with mine, but as you say, always safer to check.

I did remove the inline fuse, seeing as I plugged into the BMW socket under the headlight I'm presuming that's already a fused line?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I did the same. Silly to double fuse and by golly on my install, there’s no reaching those wires to change a fuse without cursing.

Reactions: TGuy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts