BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put enough miles on their 310 to need a valve adjustment and if so did the dealer do it or did you do it yourself? And did they need adjusted? Also do the chain and sprockets need replaced at 12,000 miles like the book says? I hate to think what the dealer will charge to check the valves and replace the chain and sprockets?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not nearly enough miles, but I can't imagine the valves being out at 12K. I would definitely replace chain and sprockets at 12K. Thats a lot of miles on a chain. Do not use a BMW chain use a quality aftermarket. Probably half the price of BMW and will not show surface rust like the BMW one does. Chain and sprocket replacement shouldnt be too expensive as it's not a hard job. I'm sure any bike mechanic can do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Chain and sprocket replacement shouldnt be too expensive as it's not a hard job. I'm sure any bike mechanic can do it.
Or do it yourself - as you said, it's not a hard job. DID, RK & EK all make excellent chains. Buy the good (expensive) ones - they're cheaper in the long run. Sprocket availability (other than OEM) is an issue at the moment, but I expect that to change.

Oh yeah - and change out all three as a set - both sprockets and chain. Nothing will destroy a new chain more quickly than a worn sprocket and vice versa. DAMHIK.

You'll need a proper chain tool - Motion Pro makes a nice selection - and the cost of the tool will be much less than the labor to have it replaced. And then you'll have the tool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Where in the owners manual does it say to replace the chain and sprocket at 12,000 miles. Mine does not say that anywhere. Mine is a 2018 g310gs and I am almost ready for the 12,000 mile service, dealer said nothing about changing the chain and sprockets with the service. I was told oil & filter, air filter, R&R front fork oil, valve adjustment, and new spark plug. Cost however was outrageous they want around $650 US dollars for the 12k mile service. I was told about 4 hours labor plus parts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Where in the owners manual does it say to replace the chain and sprocket at 12,000 miles. Mine does not say that anywhere. Mine is a 2018 g310gs and I am almost ready for the 12,000 mile service, dealer said nothing about changing the chain and sprockets with the service. I was told oil & filter, air filter, R&R front fork oil, valve adjustment, and new spark plug. Cost however was outrageous they want around $650 US dollars for the 12k mile service. I was told about 4 hours labor plus parts.
Unsure about the GS but for the R it is item #5 in the Maintenance Schedule (Service chapter) = "Replace chainset". First shows at 12K, then repeats at 24K, 36K, and so on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe R and GS have different chains from factory, which might be why service requirements are different.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The R and the GS do indeed use the same final drive chain, part # 33 83 8 566 489 which retails from BMW for about $117 US .

I think the sprockets are the same as well but you can find out by going to the link at the end of my post. The front sprocket and the chain are shown on one schematic but you will not see the rear sprocket part number on this schematic.

The rear sprocket is shown on the schematic for the rear wheel. Do not forget to replace the 3 rubber cush blocks (jerk damper) in the hub. Always replace chain, both sprockets and the rubber dampers as a set. It is also good if you can have the chain replacement and the tire replacement at the same time so you only have to pull the rear wheel once. Most rear tires will last 15 to 18 thousand miles with good riding habits. You will not get that many miles if you are hard on the brake...

Here is a very good parts information resource for BMW motorcycles. It takes a little bit of practice to navigate and I suspect it works better with a PC than a smart phone or tablet but it works very well if you need to get a part number.

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

·
Registered
935 Posts
Replacing the chain and sprockets every x miles/ km’s Is an advice.
What really matters is how you tread these parts.
Only riding in sunshine and lubricating / cleaning the chain regularly will last them forever (almost !)
Riding in conditions with lots of rain, mud, sand and poor maintenance will ‘help’ your parts to last not very long.
Important is to check everything regularly, look at the form of the sprockets (teethwise) and the slack of the chain and if the chain is clean and well lubricated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just had my 12,000 mile service done on my 2018 G310GS. Way to expensive.... $644.00 US. That is about 10% the cost of the bike.. They did all the things in the book ... Air Filter, Oil Filter, Changed Fork Oil, Adjusted Valves, Spark Plug, Changed Engine Oil, Replaced all the gaskets and seals, Adjusted and Lubed the Chain, Serviced the Brakes ( noted I should Flush the brake fluid as it was getting black ) . The job was 4.5 hours of labor plus parts. The Service manager was nice enough to give me a quick run down of replacing the front and rear brake pads as well as all the torque specs for doing that job. Was told the chain and sprockets are in good shape and should last another 12k if I continue to maintain it.

The bike is much quieter and is a little more responsive. Not sure but my 0-60 mph times seem to be getting better. I did 0-60 today in about 6.3 seconds and shocked a 2017 5.0 liter Mustang as I got him at the light and he didn't overtake me till we hit about 75 in forth gear.
Yes I know I beat the crap out of my poor little Beemer... Oh and I call it ... The Baybe Gee eeS ( as in Baby Jesus ) I know don't say it... all I can say it takes everything I dish out and keeps coming back for more.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
How much did the parts cost? Will give me an idea of what it will cost me if I do the service myself, and how long before I recoup the cost of the mandatory GS-911 OBD scan/reset tool (on my 2 Beemers).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Replacing the chain and sprockets every x miles/ km’s Is an advice.
Yup - it's an average.

If you sit with one cheek of your butt on a block of ice and the other on a hot stove, on average you're comfortable. >:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just had my 12,000 mile service done on my 2018 G310GS. Way to expensive.... $644.00 US. That is about 10% the cost of the bike..
Agree - but most of it is labor. My Tiger Explorer is going in for its 40K mile service and it will run me close to $900 - one Tech for almost a whole day + parts & consumables.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just had my 12,000 mile service done on my 2018 G310GS. Way to expensive.... $644.00 US. That is about 10% the cost of the bike.. They did all the things in the book ... Air Filter, Oil Filter, Changed Fork Oil, Adjusted Valves, Spark Plug, Changed Engine Oil, Replaced all the gaskets and seals, Adjusted and Lubed the Chain, Serviced the Brakes ( noted I should Flush the brake fluid as it was getting black ) . The job was 4.5 hours of labor plus parts.

I found this summary on the BMW Thailand website for the 20,000 Km service on a G310 that comes in at 10,161 Baht ( 312 US Dollars). I thought that $644 is way too expensive too!

G 310 R YEAR / MILEAGE 20,000 KM
GASKET RING A16X20-AL 10,000 1 PIECE 25.00
OIL FILTER 1 PIECE 525.00
GASKET SET 2 PIECE @575.00 1,150.00
BEARING SET 2 PIECE @1,060.00 2,120.00
CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET SET 1 PIECE 1,300.00
SPARK PLUG NGK LMAR9D-J 1 PIECE 485.00
AIR FILTER ELEMENT 1 PIECE 400.00
BMW MOTORRAD ENGINE OIL ADVANTEC PRO 15W-50 1.7 LITER @580.00 986.00
BMW MOTORRAD BRAKE FLUID DOT4 LV 1L 0.5 LITER 342.50
TELESCOPIC-FORK OIL TYPE3 0.5 LITER 770.00
LABOR 2,400.00