BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jerry’s so smart. Just another thing us in California don’t think about. But a good battery tender is on my list that is a waay better solution than pulling a fuse
About battery tenders… I have two, they’re different makes.. I have a habit of not leaving them connected all winter, the leads running across the garage sometimes get in the way.
The other year I forgot to give my Yamaha’s battery a boost, went to it and it was flat. I connected the battery tender and it did not recognise there was a battery, tried the other tender same result. It seems when the battery’s voltage is too low the tenders didn’t recognise it. My solution was to use my old car battery charger for about an hour or so, I then connected the battery tender and it worked.
That battery was still working well over a year later when I sold the bike😀

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ha! “Trust but Verify”. We can trust that BMW knows what it’s doing setting the mark at 14.9 volts. We can easily verify by monitoring battery health that this isn’t detrimental to battery. If I had a functional thermometer I would be taking temperatures but my dog fixed that issue.
We should all have towing and cell phones just in case irrespective of cause.

Reactions: JerryG

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ha! “Trust but Verify”. We can trust that BMW knows what it’s doing setting the mark at 14.9 volts. We can easily verify by monitoring battery health that this isn’t detrimental to battery. If I had a functional thermometer I would be taking temperatures but my dog fixed that issue.
We should all have towing and cell phones just in case irrespective of cause.
Can I explain what I meant by battery tender in this case. I’m talking about a smart battery charger that you leave connected over the winter to look after the battery while the bikes not being used.. sorry if I’ve confused. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
As another data point, I'm seeing about 14.7 - 14.8 on a good Fluke meter when running on my 2022 GS. I just installed a panel USB/Voltmeter which matches within .1v, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.

The dealer suggested the Deltran 021-0123 automatic maintainer. He told me it is the one that BMW resells under its own label. My 2022 came with a pigtail already attached to the battery which plugged right in to the Deltran.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys, my G310R is 2017, almost 8000 miles on, not much
The OEM battery was down when around 3500 miles year 2021, at Miami dealer they check out charging system and all was nice up today.
I am afraid of loosen bolts inside rotor that commonly had broken alternator stator causing a lot of damage loosing the alternator to charge battery, now I am running long distances, and every time I think does bolts are good? does the alternator will not break down due some faulty bolt?
So, I would like to tide down the alternator, remove bolts, clean it out the thread, use Blue 242 Loctite, re bolt and torque..., that way I could feel calm and no worried about the possible issue that had happen to many of G310 owners with a high cost maintenance and parts change.
To make the job I need BMW special tools part number 11014 and 11015, I had tried to find in BMW Motorrad website, Dealer website and whole internet without success, does some of you know where to order this couple tools?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The usual fix is to upgrade but that’s gonna cost in parts. I’d be really tempted to assume the bolts are snug, your having 8k. There’s thousands of early models about without failure. Wait until if/when the poo starts flying about. Parts alone run near $900 to upgrade. I would advise to get the voltage monitor app for your phone. Search forum for details A smart thing for any motorbike. One should invest in a towing service. Bogus until you need it, then lifesaver.
Issues get magnified on the internet don’t let it get to you.

Reactions: LMarr [DK]
41 - 48 of 48 Posts