BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first 310 GS broke down twice because some kind of electrical issue, my replacement bike should be here by the end of the week. To prevent getting stranded yet again, one of the first things I want to do is test the battery and install a voltmeter. Unfortunately, I haven't connected two wires since shop class in high school fifteen years ago.

A couple of questions:

(1) Is there an affordable multimeter you can recommend? Independent of a permanent voltmeter on the bike, I think having a multimeter would be a useful investment. Amazon has some models that cost around $40 and have thousands of good reviews. Can I trust those to get the job done in measuring voltage accurately? I know that the really good ones cost significantly more.

(2) What kind of voltmeter do you use? Any recommendations?

(3) What's the most straightforward way to install a voltmeter? Is there something that's reliable, foolproof, and can be done by a newbie? Should a voltmeter ideally be connected to the battery or is it okay to connect it to one of the accessory outlets at the front of the bike?

Also, what is the policy on dealerships helping customers installing add-ons? I know that most of you here do all that yourself, but could I expect the mechanics to help me install a USB connector or something?

I'm excited to be riding again, but I feel pretty paranoid about the charging system. (Especially now that some people seem to be experiencing issues with overcharging.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like the most elegant solution. I've been spending a fair amount of time reading up on voltmeters in various forums but haven't seen bluetooth ones before.

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Go Cyrille! That a better solution than just installing a gauge. And so much easier! Brilliant. Leave it to Wonderlich
Irrespective of unit, it’s so smart to ride herd on your electrons.
Brilliant
As far voltmeters, it would be easy to start a meter thread like an oil thread! Fluke is the industry standard. But I’ve found the cheapo ones to be plenty accurate enough for working around ICE stuff.
Harbor Frieght has em. I’d go with middle road price $20? For a DVOM ones with RPM/Frequency are handy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wonderlich stuff is traditionally the “best” stuff. Just expensive but one gets what one pays for sometimes. Looking forward to the write up!

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
130 Posts
I have voltmeters fitted to both my bikes BMW G 310R and RE 650 Interceptor, but I have ordered 2 of these Bluetooth battery monitors to fit on both bikes and the app supports up to 4 vehicles simple to fit. I like the way the monitor records the voltage during the ride and can be viewed on the app, this should be good to spot any problems with the charging output high or low.

Product Font Screenshot Technology Software

·
Registered
582 Posts
That’s so excellent I’d be getting one too if not so cheap and already have a voltmeter installed. I’d bet there’s even an alarm! Best being ease of install. It’s not everyone with the savvy or tools to put in a meter but it’s a critical thing really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just ordered a BM2, looks good.... Hmmm, a little thought just crossed my mind, since it's continuously connected to the battery and trying to connect to BT all the time, the battery will probably need charging more often... lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Even the voltmeters (most of) pull a wee bit of current! Crazy but that’s why one wishes to connect to switched power. I ponder if it work to just use the monitor and charge as needed. All depends on how much you ride but with a smart monitor you wouldnt get caught wanting electrons. If you used switched power you would lose remote sensing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even the voltmeters (most of) pull a wee bit of current! Crazy but that’s why one wishes to connect to switched power. I ponder if it work to just use the monitor and charge as needed. All depends on how much you ride but with a smart monitor you wouldnt get caught wanting electrons. If you used switched power you would lose remote sensing.
Being a fair weather rider and living in rainy UK ( not been so rainy of late ) my bike can be in the garage for a few days at a time. As I understand it, the device is capable of sending me a warning that the battery is low, which is handy, it'll stop me going for the bike and finding the battery flat.. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've just installed the BM2, less than 10 minutes to fit. It comes with a sticky pad but I found no need to use it, the BM2 just wedged nicely between the battery and the ODB with the fuse tweezers locking it in place. The wires were perfectly placed at each end of the BM2 for routing round to the battery.

The instant I opened the app it connected to the device.
I did the cranking test and the charging system test, you can see the results in the photo's below.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Automotive exterior
Communication Device Font Gadget Screenshot Mobile device
Font Gas Circle Electric blue Space
Font Rectangle Screenshot Gadget Electronic device
Font Astronomical object Science Gas Electric blue

·
Registered
971 Posts
It is a nice Voltmeter, gives you much information. But I don't like to look at the phone all the time, unless I have to. I installed a Chinese simple one, on both Versys 650 and BMW. It works pretty nice, and it can be turned off, so will not steal any current.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
It is a nice Voltmeter, gives you much information. But I don't like to look at the phone all the time, unless I have to. I installed a Chinese simple one, on both Versys 650 and BMW. It works pretty nice, and it can be turned off, so will not steal any current.
I have the the R and it doesn’t have anywhere nice on the dash to fit a voltmeter, I realise I could have a handlebar voltmeter ( with USB port ) but already have a dual USB port mounted there.. I suppose the downside of having a dash mounted voltmeter is you have to take your eyes off the road to see it, especially if you suspect you have trouble. With the BM2 it keeps a charging history and will alert you if you have a problem ( I believe ).
As for power draw when not being used, I’m sure it does, and I am keeping an eye on it to find out if it’s a problem.
Talking of power draw I’m sure the clock must do also, very very slightly, but I notice my clock doesn’t keep good time, it’s lost 15 minutes in the last couple of months, not sure why?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have the the R and it doesn’t have anywhere nice on the dash to fit a voltmeter, I realise I could have a handlebar voltmeter ( with USB port ) but already have a dual USB port mounted there.. I suppose the downside of having a dash mounted voltmeter is you have to take your eyes off the road to see it, especially if you suspect you have trouble. With the BM2 it keeps a charging history and will alert you if you have a problem ( I believe ).
As for power draw when not being used, I’m sure it does and am keeping an eye on it to find out if it’s a problem.
Talking of power draw I’m sure the clock must do also, very very slightly, but I notice my clock doesn’t keep good time, it’s lost 15 minutes in the last couple of months, not sure why?
The power draw is minimal anyways, probably insignificant... I could have installed the V on the dashboard, but in the new models it is difficult to get underneath this thing, so I fitted it on the side panel instead, next to the battery. Well, I cannot see it when driving, but that is probably for the best, or else I will get paranoid :). Anyway, easy-peasy, just two wires connected to the battery. It is my second 310, and so far I did not have any charging problems, or any other problems as a matter of fact, finger crossed; lucky I guess. I wonder, how big there is a percentage of those whose bikes failed in the charging compartment?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The power draw is minimal anyways, probably insignificant... I could have installed the V on the dashboard, but in the new models it is difficult to get underneath this thing, so I fitted it on the side panel instead, next to the battery. Well, I cannot see it when driving, but that is probably for the best, or else I will get paranoid :). Anyway, easy-peasy, just two wires connected to the battery. It is my second 310, and so far I did not have any charging problems, or any other problems as a matter of fact, finger crossed; lucky I guess. I wonder, how big there is a percentage of those whose bikes failed in the charging compartment?
My bike is 3 years old and on the same battery so I guess I don’t have a charging problem.. fingers crossed 🤞

1 - 20 of 25 Posts