BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
The little volt meters pull micro amps to power the off on switch, even off! Crazy. Milliamperes to be sure, on my 1150 it would take the battery down in a month of not riding. So switched power is preferred. I think the nice thing about the phone is it monitors for you, no need to look at a meter. Hopefully very few bikes will experience issues but it’s so simple to “be prepared” and will make the difference from being stranded or not. All the newer bikes are sensitive about electron quality.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The little volt meters pull micro amps to power the off on switch, even off! Crazy. Milliamperes to be sure, on my 1150 it would take the battery down in a month of not riding. So switched power is preferred. I think the nice thing about the phone is it monitors for you, no need to look at a meter. Hopefully very few bikes will experience issues but it’s so simple to “be prepared” and will make the difference from being stranded or not. All the newer bikes are sensitive about electron quality.
Another advantage of the phone is to be able to show a dealer a graph of the charging voltage over a period of time if something has gone wrong.. presuming that the dealer is good enough to take notice of it :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
The graph could be quite the tell. The 14.9 volt cut off being too high for battery life. I think most AGM battery manufacturers would agree. A graph would demonstrate what killed your battery early. Not that that will do much good with BMW, but might. It would also aid in detiriming if a lithium battery would be the solution as lithium has higher voltage requirements than AGM.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts