BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me to run the engine to 90F/32C before riding.
I assume that this is to warm up the fluids etc.
However, during mid spring thru early fall/autumn my area has daily temperatures
on average of 100F/38C. The low at night 60F/16C.Sometimes I have to jet and go.
I usually make sure that the bike is running while I put on my helmet and gloves anyhow.
But sometimes I start off when the temp of the bike is 75F/24C - 80F/27C.
Will that be a problem?

·
Registered
32 Posts
However, during mid spring thru early fall/autumn my area has daily temperatures
on average of 100F/38C. The low at night 60F/16C.Sometimes I have to jet and go.
I usually make sure that the bike is running while I put on my helmet and gloves anyhow.
Will that be a problem?
Turn the key and ride! No need to warm the bike up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will that be a problem?
No, it's fine to ride away pretty well as soon as the bike has started up and run briefly, as others have already replied (there's another thread somewhere that covers the same question).

Because it's fuel injected, the ECU is constantly delivering the right mixture for the engine with input from it's temperature sensors etc - so it will run smoothly from cold. The important thing to remember is that while the engine runs fine, it is cold and needs to be treated accordingly, so ride gently to warm it up before giving it a lot of right hand...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree with the comments made thus far. It isn't a 1950s machine with lower grade metals and loose tolerances. I start the engine, put on the gear and ride away but, as others have mentioned, I don't thrash it while things are warming up to operating temperatures. But then I don't usually thrash it badly at all.

Interestingly, the operator's manual for my '93 BMW K75S instructed me NOT to idle the engine to allow it to warm but to start and ride away.

By the way, how did the dealer tell you to measure the temperature, and precisely where to measure, to be assured of any accuracy. I'll wager the how and where weren't explained. :confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
He selected the engine temp readout on the cluster.
In my situation, I ride out of my garage around 500 am with a cold bike but 60F air temp onto residential streets for 2 miles at 30 mph. Then onto the freeway
for 11 miles at 70 mph. On the return at 500 pm its a no brainer. Average air temp at that time is around 100F. So no concerns there as the readout is showing
high 80's temp just by sitting outside all day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The big thing is that oil drains down when the bike is off - it likes a few seconds of no-load running to get properly oiled up. If you start it before you get your helmet & gloves on, it should be ready to go by the time you are.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I start it and ride away slowly but immediately. Don't want to wake up the neighbors at 6:15 AM plus can't see any advantage of letting it idle. As others have said just ride gently for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For reference:
I'm 5,200 miles in. Mon-Fri In the morning I ride in a chill fashion in lower rpm's for 5min then I get the freeway and it's constant 65mph (6+ rpm). I don't see damage or anything from doing that.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Feel your engine !
give the bike time to pump the oil around.
For the enviroment is not okay to idle for the time you 'get dressed'
Just set off and feel what the bike is telling you.
Most of the time the engine needs some time to warm up and this depends from were you live and what season it is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I run it as I get ready, jacket, helmet, gloves. People complain that the trans. is hard to shift and I find if it is a bit warn It goes into neutral more easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts