BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anyone found a heavy duty, weatherproof cover that fits the G310GS and performs well ?
Thanks for any guidance !

·
Registered
2017 BMW G310R
29 Posts
Hi
For my previous bike (BMW R850R), I used a Harley Davidson cover. Highly recommended !
Because the G310GS may be smaller than my 850, look at the dimensions of the HD Sportster cover, it may fit well (I don’t have one, so I’m not sure)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi
For my previous bike (BMW R850R), I used a Harley Davidson cover. Highly recommended !
Because the G310GS may be smaller than my 850, look at the dimensions of the HD Sportster cover, it may fit well (I don’t have one, so I’m not sure)
Do you seriously think a BMW (even a small one, like G310GS) would feel comfortable under a heavy Harley Davidson cover? I could never do that to my Otto. She would be so embarrassed, she would refuse to start next time I wanted to take her for a ride >:)
Besides, I think people who name their bikes and treat their bikes like persons are crazy.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Buy / build a garage 🥴😇😀😇🥴😀
When we bought a house, a garage was my most important condition.
The next house even had floorheating in the part of the garage we’re the beemer is Parked 😉😉😉

·
Registered
29 Posts
over here i use a oxford stormtex cover (large i think i can check if you want to know ) i use it even through the bike is stored in garage , keeps dust off it . outside the stormtex will handle uk weather i used the old version on my suziki bandit in the garden the cover breathes so no condensation plus the new version has clear panels so you insert solar panel to trickle charge the battery if you want to .. will include a link to oxford online shop here ... Oxford Stormex Bike Cover

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I ended up going for the BMW option made specifically for the model.
It's a close fit, which means it doesn't like the Barkbuster hand protectors I fitted, but it does go over. It's raining today, so I'llsee how waterproof it is/isn't !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Following my post from this morning above:
This review is for BMW part 71 60 2465397 'All weather cover' for BMW G310GS in 'UltraMax' fabric ( I did a search- UltraMax is designed for 'waterproof' awnings, tents, etc ), with twin needled, heat-sealed seams.
The box clearly states that this cover is '100% waterPROOF'. I put it on for the first time last night, straight out of the box.
Here in NYC we have had a complete day of consistent, heavy rain, with winds of up to 60 MPH. It has finally stopped around 4.00 pm. Now, that's what I call a test.
I have just gone out to check the bike. Glad to see it was still vertical after all the that wind, I peeled off the cover. There was clearly some water on the seat and rack.
To be precise, we are talking enough water penetration to form drips. Nothing was what you would call really wet. Pulling the cover off the rest of the bike, the tank was dry, but the handlebar grips also had drips on them. So, I would pretty much say that the water penetrates only where the fabric is touching something underneath. In a less severe storm, it might well have stayed dry inside, but in my mind 'waterproof' means exactly that. This cover is not. How will it stand up over time ? Who knows...
Other listed features are-
Vented- the vents are so small they can only have the most limited effect.
Heat panel to help protect cover from exhaust and engine- note that it then states
'( must let bike cool before installation)'. Reality- there is a light layer of
( probably cotton ) fabric sewn to the inside of the shell.
It is really too thin to have much effect. If it was a chunk of nomex ( expensive )
or 100% cotton sweatshirt fabric ( cheap, but bulky ) it might have a more
significant effect.
Soft panel in windshield area- Yes
Reflective prints- Yes
Clear license plate panel- Yes
Will accept cable lock- There are 2 plastic eyelets at front wheel ONLY.
There is also an adjustable 'belly strap' with plastic buckle.
Note that this is only sewn in with the regular elastic hem
stitching, so inevtitable it will pull out if not reinforced.
Elastic hem- Yes. It's strong enough to make the cover 'tight' when
installed, without feeling like your fighting 'Jaws'.
You will end up squatting down to really pull it straight.
Matching carry bag- Yes.
UV-blocking- Time will tell.
Idiosynchrasies- The cover is cut to fit only with the bars right over to the left/
the steering lock is on, so it loses some flexibility.
Summary:
It's a good, well fitted, medium weight cover, which should protect against most weather.
Warning- if you have a high screen, or lots of bulky accessories attached, it will probably be too small I have Motech detachable saddle bag carriers attached, and they're fine.
It's not cheap, but not extortionate if you search around for a good price. Having researched a lot of the alternatives now, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts