BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up a new '19 GS in the middle of last year and loved it. Having ridden a Triumph Bonneville SE for over 50K miles, I definitely missed the acceleration coming down to a 300.

Looking at the bike, there are quite a bit of simple things that can be down to drop almost 25 pounds. This was exactly what I did and now the bike is a little ripper!

Note: I calculated the weight loss by weighing myself first on a bathroom scale followed by re-weighing myself on the scale while clutching the part as close to myself as I can.

-Akrapovic Carbon Exhaust -10 pounds
-EarthX ETX18F lithium battery -5 pounds
-Passenger footpeg bracket removed - 5 pounds
-SWMotech Alu-Rack (Chinese knockoff for G310R but fits GS just fine) - 3 pounds

Total weight wet: approximately 351 pounds

Here are some pictures of the parts. To remove both the passenger footpeg mount, I ordered a pipe bracket for the G310R off Amazon. I did have to dremel a small piece of the plastic off the GS tail section but it is barely noticeable. I can't post a link onto here, but if you search for "G310R Accessories Exhaust Muffler Bracket Hanger Holder" on Amazon, you should find it!

Calculating the power to weight ratio, here's what I get:

Stock 374lbs / 34 hp = 11lbs/hp
Current 351lbs/ 34hp = 10.23lbs/hp

Calculating HP gain from weight loss:

374lbs/(10.23lbs/hp) = x
X = 36.55hp
Net gain of approximately 2.5hp from weight loss.

Here are some pictures of the parts. I can take better ones when I have more time later on. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
896 Posts
Unfortunately that's not how it works, you don't gain any HP by removing weight!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Unfortunately that's not how it works, you don't gain any HP by removing weight!
You're correct, but he's not claiming to have obtained more horsepower overall. The horsepower figure is the same in both calculations. however, by reducing overall weight the result is more horsepower per pound. The mathematics are straight forward and are correct as well. 0:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Arion! Your explanation is exactly what I meant.

To avoid misinterpretation, I should've stated that the performance gains from dropping that weight would be equivalent to a hypothetical G310GS with 36.5hp pushing a wet weight of 374lbs.

This thing is a riot to ride with that weight loss. As Colin Chapman once said, "adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts