BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 310gs was delivered on Saturday, 19 plate, 7500 miles, looks really clean and tidy. Bought it without test riding (apparently their insurance wouldn't cover me as I haven't had my license for at least a year) silly I know. They changed the oil and filters before delivery.

Anyway, I took the bike for a ride and straight away noticed a strange noise coming from the engine at roughly 3800-4000rpm.

If the bike is in neutral and I hold the revs at 4000 the noise can be heard but quite faint at a standstill.

The noise is way more noticeable when riding, i can clearly hear it over the engine, with loud wind noise. As soon as I'm revving and hit 4000rpm it's loud, then goes as the revs increase and then if I roll off the throttle and the revs drop down, as they pass 4000 it's a loud noise then goes at about 3800.

It's a sort of scraping/metal sound, kinda reminds me off a continuous rough dry cough, as if the bike is struggling, however I didn't notice any decline in power or performance

I've given them the bike back to have a look at it and it's under warranty but I'm worried they might try palm me off with it being normal, it's definitely not. It's super annoying as 4000rpm seems to be where I keep the revs when riding around town/small roads

You guys had anything similar or have any idea of what it could be? Any help would be great!! Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I notice a lot of engine and wind noise but thought it was normal. The biggest noise I get sounds quite metallic but remains when I pull the clutch in and coast so I put it down to wind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a noise when I first got my 2019 G310R at similar revs and could not resolve the problem until I read a post advising me to check the horn mounting bracket which is rubber mounted and at certain revs causes this to resonate it also maybe too close to another part of the fittings. The solution I used was to find a washer to reduce the amount of movement by the mounting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the sound's still there when you get it back make a recording and post for us. Plenty of owners here that can weigh in on whether unusual for a 310.

Reaction to your thought of 4000 rpm as a common rev rate. I'd say 4000 to 7000 is where this bike feels at its happiest. 4000 being a low point that I spend little time near.

Around town she feels more responsive and ready to deal with any urgent demands (emergency escapes, etc.) if cruised ~5000+.

Interstate, I feel like that is high 6's to low 7's if you wanna keep her ready for some roll-on acceleration in 6th gear.

On a bike, I accelerate my way to safety more often than I brake toward safety. I'm usually desiring to quickly put space between myself and one or more cages that are doing stupid things that concern me. I want the bike always ready to go when asked.

You're near lugging this engine below the 4's and I wouldn't cruise down so far from the true power. With a high revving single, lugging the engine often can be as bad or worse for the lifespan than pushing the top end.

I personally feel in 6th gear you could cruise these for hours at 75% - 80% of redline and not be hurting the lifespan of a well maintained little single.

Wouldn't run around town like that in the lower gears. But 50%-60% in 3rd and 4th gear? Yeah, all day long.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I second kentforrest in this. The little 313 cc engine loves revs.
The issue with "strange" sounds at specific rpm's is very often due to a loose fastener that starts to resonate. I would check all million screws, nuts and bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts