BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi @Bas310, It was a mission. Took about 3 hours to get most of it off, the mud was in every crevice and corner and left a brown film that can only be removed by physical contact. I'm still finding muddy spots 2 weeks after, and some areas will never be clean unless I remove plastics(not that bothered). Chain looked rusted from the mud "film". I tested a newly bought Kettenmax with kerosene and the chain was looking like new within a few minutes. My gear and shoes took another few hours to clean, had mud specs on the inside of my helmet:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well, it's just 11 months since I got my G310R, and today we parted company on reasonably amicable terms... :)

I have traded up to a Triumph Street Twin - a nice bog standard, Cranberry Red one... will post a bit more later. I really, really like the Triumph...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, it's just 11 months since I got my G310R, and today we parted company on reasonably amicable terms... :)

I have traded up to a Triumph Street Twin - a nice bog standard, Cranberry Red one... will post a bit more later. I really, really like the Triumph...
I am doing exactly the same except that I will sell the G310R privately. The red Street Twin will be delivered to the dealer at the end of August.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Installed a rear brake extender - looks goods & extends the pedal out quite a bit - very functional. Bought on Amazon, info attached in pictures...

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Twisties and Offroad in Southern California

Great ride yesterday through some tight paved twisties (Ortega highway) and into the local mountains, pushed the 310gs hard up through rocky trails with occasional sand and ruts. I was flying with the help of the Rally Raid level 2 suspension. I felt comfortable catching a little air with no bottoming out. I was on the stock tires and wheels, otherwise would have pushed even harder while in the dirt/sand.

Great lil machine for tarmac, twisties and light offroad if set up. Smooth and stable around corners on pavement. I enjoy this bike a lot around town too, easy to maneuver in traffic and effortless to ride.

I have a big GS and that 550 lbs was a bit much in the more technical riding so I bought the lil gs. Seems to be holding up well with 1500 miles of mixed use. I cant see taking this on a really long hwy trip as above 60 mph its a bit buzzy, but for a day out locally its been great. I imagine you could do cross country but you might go numb if avg. 65-70 mph. I'm looking to trade out the older big GS for a KTM 1290 and then I'll be set :)

Mods: BMW tail bag, Rally Raid level 2 suspension, crashbar/skid plate, tinted/taller windscreen +++, Barkbusters handguards, 2 inch Rox handlebar risers. Next up, larger foot pegs and some dirt worthy tires... Yes, I deleted the tank GS stickers....

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked my G310R up early july. I added tank bag and the small top-case and then installed the Shad side cases- (the top case from BMW is made by Shad) the side cases came with an extra tumbler so I was able to change the lock on the top case so all three use the same key. The side cases hold a lot but they make the bike very wide. I use the side case when I go camping- remove the top case and strap the tent on the rear seat. I have put about 2,000 miles on it so far- just this past weekend rode 340 miles to Northern New Hampshire from NY- rode around in Maine then rode back The bike performed flawlessly. I took a ride with 5 guys on BMW R1200R's and they were impressed that I was able to keep up with them on the twisties AND the strait aways. I normally don't go as fast as they were going but the bike did great. I installed a GPS - and I will look into heated grips. I have had 5 other BMW's since 1991- including 1984 R100 a 1995 R1100. I still have a 1982 R65LS I am enjoying the light ness and nimbleness of this little 310.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just replaced the totally lame OEM horn with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster (low tone version, model # 72112) - WOW! What a difference! I’m measuring 113 db at 6”. 👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got home from my first multi day trip. A ton of fun - 600 miles, 2 nights, over cold mountain passes, long rural highways, and twisting forest back roads.

A lot of firsts. First time riding in the rain. First time I had enough lean angle to actually scrape footpeg. First time I lost traction on some gravel in the road and truly felt I was about to crash (I recovered, thankfully). First time sustaining speeds of more than 70 mph (definitely wish I had more power as I was getting a pretty consistent headwind). Met some really cool people with interesting stories to tell, ate some delicious food in places I would have otherwise skipped in a car, and made memories to last a lifetime.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Left home Friday a week before Labor Day and spent a night at Two Wheels of Suches. Georgia 60/Tennessee 68 to Turtletown, TN, then fifty mile round trip for groceries in Murphy, then a day ride over Blood mountain followed by a day of exploring a side road to Bald Creek Falls and environs. After the side trip, returned to Tellico for lunch and gas then on to Deals Gap to look at the crowd. Unexpectedly, most of those parked at the start of the famous Dragon were cruisers. A night at Iron Horse was followed by a run down 129 south to US 64 and then to the house. For Labor Day it was Blue Ridge Cycle camp for two nights with a loop over the BRP and down NC 215 back to the campground. Saturday was spent at Wheels Through Time and then on Sunday it was southbound over two lanes to south Georgia. Will try to get in one more trip before cold weather.

261 - 280 of 392 Posts