BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

361 - 380 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Beautiful sun shiny day here in Newcastle NSW, 25 degrees, perfect for a ride. Headed out into the country to a little locality called Quorrobolong. Lovely winding sealed lanes and then turned left onto the dirt and up over the Watagan mountains. The first quarter of this road really tested the bike out, but it handled it just fine. Dirt for about 75 klm, then back on the hard stuff another sweeping flowing road back home. It was good to give the bike a chance to stretch its legs and to get the wind in my face.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally got the bike back today. Five weeks of parts ordering, arriving and fitting.

They have replaced stator windings, rectifier/regulator and battery with new parts under warranty.

Now the battery reads:

12.8v with everything off
12.6v with ignition key on
14.4v with bike idling
14.7v with bike at 4500rpm

This is so much more normal behaviour of the charging system and battery.

While the bike was in shop, they have done the side stand recall as well. Great.

Before and after recall photos attached. It's a different side stand (leg) and a reinforcement plate (grey color).

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
yesterday ……………… a day out on the road.
We had some beautiful days and that is why we planned a nice trip to our area with friends.
No specific route but just going left and ride when the road looks good and twisty.
Got up and …………………. it was raining.
Luckily I didn't clean the 310 after its last ride so rain and road grease / dirt didn't bother me.
Gear okay, wind and waterproof.
Thermoshirt, thermosocks en thermopants kept me warm but my hands were so cold.
After a while this influences my riding. If you don't feel warm and comfy, my riding becomes more 'square' instead of smooth.
After our lunchbreak on a point were three countries come together (Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands) the weather cleared and we some Sunshine and …….. dry roads.
I don't have to tell you what this does to your riding experience (speed !).
Now looking forward to our trip to the south of France in June with hopefully nice warm weather.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tinkering

I was outside just cleaning and tinkering with our recent 2nd hand purchased R and contemplating future modifications ( bars,screen,levers,etc) and noticed the rear brake clevis pin had the split pin end showing outwards - also it had a lot of movement back and forth , took it out and put a stainless washer either side to take up most of the play but not tight some movement and I prefer to see a washer between the split pin and master cylinder fork but replaced it with the round head facing out . Much more pleasing appearance.
Cup of tea now and outside to contemplate making or buying a screen !!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Today I'm installing SW-Motech footrests, which can lower the pegs by 15mm. That, plus my high BMW seat and seat gel pad, should give my legs room to take long rides in comfort. That's my only complaint about the G 310 R, that the stock leg position is too cramped for taller riders.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Today I'm installing SW-Motech footrests, which can lower the pegs by 15mm. That, plus my high BMW seat and seat gel pad, should give my legs room to take long rides in comfort. That's my only complaint about the G 310 R, that the stock leg position is too cramped for taller riders.
Let us know how you get on with the SW-Motec foot pegs as I am considering the IONs for my R.
Are the 15mm drop real etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let us know how you get on with the SW-Motec foot pegs as I am considering the IONs for my R.
Are the 15mm drop real etc.

I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll let you know when I've installed them. They claim the IONs foot peg height can be either at stock height or 15mm lower, which seems reasonable from looking at the mounting holes:

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll let you know when I've installed them. They claim the IONs foot peg height can be either at stock height or 15mm lower, which seems reasonable from looking at the mounting holes:
Much appreciated.
Perhaps you could do one side at a time and take a picture with stock and Motech mounted? I dread paying the the rather stiff price to find out it gives me less than 15mm...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Last Saturday was a beautiful day to ride and I took off on a 180kms ride which included decent offroading. Had loads of fun. This was my first offroading experience with baby GS. Here are some pics from the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
After about a week of the fix, that took 5 weeks, I saw a small amount of oil dripping on the floor. Back to the dealer. They fixed it while I was waiting. Great.

But then tell me that the water pump is starting to weep. Keep an eye on that or bring it back if it gets any worse. Hmmm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did my first 60 miles (96km) and found a few things that need adjustment/altering/replacing. First job done was to lubricate the clutch cable with 3in1 light machine oil....excellent for control cables. Made a lot of difference to the smoothness of operation. Will do other jobs as I get time and will log them on here
Ian 😏

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Ian650, your post made me wonder about whether the clutch cable is, or is not, supposed to be lubricated from time to time. Here's an earlier post from the technical forum:
"By the way, do not lubricate the inner cable. The outer cable has a Teflon lining and if you use oil or grease, the Teflon will wear out rapidly (all my previous Beamers had Teflon coated clutch cables)."
Just wondering whether others lube the cable, and what the experience has shown? My cable is pretty smooth without lubrication.

·
Registered
114 Posts
@KiwiJeeper, are those BarkBusters installed on your GS? If so, you confirm that they do not interfere with Givi Windscreen?
I have the GIVI Windscreen with Barkbusters Storm hand guards. On full lock there is just a hair clearance. Not a great pic but you can see on third pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
Took the Beamer out on a sunny and hot Saturday evening.
Did 100 km’s On winding roads and stopped for a little ice cream.
Enjoyed riding a lot.

On Sunday, around 30 Celsius, we did a little tour around town.
Had to stop twice for a bicycle racing tour.
It was HOT.........
we always drive fully dressed and even when it is hot, always helmet, jacket, gloves, trousers and boots.
Better sweating on the bike then being in hospital with burn wounds after ‘kissing’ the asphalt.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
30 celsius, that's 86 fahrenheit, quite hot for Netherlands this time of the year. I also am diligent about always riding with gear. It only takes one 'incident'. Like I always look over my shoulder when changing lanes, even when I know nobody can (should?) be behind me.

361 - 380 of 415 Posts