BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 423 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
30 celsius, that's 86 fahrenheit, quite hot for Netherlands this time of the year. I also am diligent about always riding with gear. It only takes one 'incident'. Like I always look over my shoulder when changing lanes, even when I know nobody can (should?) be behind me.
It's been very hot here in Estonia as well. I'm riding with all vents open and still sweating bullets. None of the local shops have mesh gear so I'm keeping an eye out for something when I ride south in the coming months.

Anyway, I just added bar risers, a phone cradle, and a charging circuit to my GS.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sump Guard /Belly pan.

Yes , Porth and PJ good observation.
Swapped it for a GS one to offer a bit more weather protection to the engine from the wet and debris thrown up by front tyre.
I bought the bike second hand ( only 1400 miles) and some of the finish is not looking its best and starter motor bolt is suffering from corrosion.
Just back from a short ride in the pouring rain this morning been to the dealers for a sprocket hub bearing change , still has axial movement in it , which none of my other bikes have so I am going to look into that at some point.
Even a brand new bike in the showroom has this play !.

·
Registered
939 Posts
We just got back from the south of France.
Many years ago we visited ‘Camping Moto’ near the town of Crest. Always on our bigger touring BMW’s.
Now we had a week off and decided to go back there to see what had changed and ...... go riding.
With the two of us and camping gear we didn’t travel by G310R but trailered the bike down south.
We also rented al little wooden cabin and therefore only needed to bring sleeping bags.
Luxury! ? Yes !
After more then 850 km’s By car and trailer we arrived at Camping Moto and we’re able to park the car and the trailer.
In the old days cars weren’t allowed on the campsite but now they have a little area we’re cars can be parked.
As we all get older and want more luxury this was something they had to do for their guests.

Took us not long to get installed and find our way to the bar / swimming pool.
You can have breakfast and dinner at the campsite and there was no need to drive somewhere to find a place to eat. You can, but you don’t have to.

In that week we put more then a 1000 km’s on the clock and this was really hard work. Most roads are winding and beautiful mountain roads and your average speed is around 30 - 40 km/hour. We did, in the immediate area, Col de Rousset, Col de Bataille and several others who’s names I forget (age !!!).
Foret de Lente is also an beautiful area we’re you can test your bike to the max in handling and performance. loved it
One day we made a trip to Alpe d’huez, famous from the Tour de France (cycling), 21 hairpins going up in the alpes mountains with on top, a view of snowy mountains.
Around 360 km of fun but also ‘hard work’
One way was around 180 km which took us, with one coffee break, 4 hours of riding. Mainly the smaller roads with hardly any traffic.
On the campsite they told us to avoid Col de Menee because of the refurbishment of the road. In France the spray the road with that sticky black stuff and cover that with little stones (we call it ‘split’). No fun to drive.
After being back there after so many years and having a good time with other people with the same hobby it felt good to be there and maby next year ......

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just before we left I received a tomtom rider 500 (was on sale !)
Couldn’t get it to work properly but took it with me on our trip (see above)
On day one out in the mountains I used my tomtom rider 2 but it couldn’t find satellites (Gps position).
Luckily we had a map !

On the campsite I spoke to someone who has a tomtom rider 500 and he could help.
I adjusted the original cable and added a plug, replaced the cradle and could use the new rider.
It took me (and still does) some time to figure everything out.
I downloaded the manual (210 pages !!!!!!) and when I get some time I will go through the manual.
I can do the basics but I want to find out more.

Also I will connect the cradle to BMW’s electrical system.

Nice things to do ........ (this week temperatures will go up around 35-38 Celsius and then it is no fun to ride)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brooklands

Went to Brooklands Weybridge yesterday for my first proper ride after getting my bike on Friday. As I am in the running in phase I had to take it steady, but was thoroughly enjoyable. Happy days!

·
Registered
152 Posts
After 23,000k’s, replaced the great OEM Tourance tyres with Michelin Anakkee Adventures. After a short run on tarmac and gravel, these do appear to provide the same great handling and grip experienced by the big GS on these hoops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After waiting out the rain yesterday, got the lawnmower out, rebuilt the carb a few times to get it to run good enough to get grass shortened, finally got the bike out for the last hour of sun, 8:30-9:30 here. Got a kilometre down the road, came back, got better jacket, and left again.
Bike is still pretty new to me, and its the first one I've ridden for some 25 years. Getting a bit more aggressive in corners and better at making smooth no-clutch shifts. Went to town, 60km round trip, nice rough country roads. Got beer, came home.

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R
30 Posts
Went back into my tail tidy and cleaned up the wiring mess I made the first time. Redid all the zip ties to keep the wiring tucked away better and took it for a little spin. Also took a couple pics before parking it

381 - 400 of 423 Posts