BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ahh sorry i thought you had made your own one by modifying the factory mount... I didn't realize you got the R&G one.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
I can go in and take pics if you need that info. It was frustrating for me not having that kind of resource. Let me know
Are those still the original indicators (I assume they are) on the tail tidy kit or are they part of the kit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can go in and take pics if you need that info. It was frustrating for me not having that kind of resource. Let me know
thats the one I used as well. I think it looks good. R&G have step by step picture matching instructions on their website for anyone that needs them. The link is above.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Share what you did today with the BMW G310 community!

Example: Took delivery at the dealership today, rode her home and gave it a nice wash!

Example: It rained on the last ride, so today I cleaned up the chain and lubed it. Ready for the next run on mulholland drive.

Example: Went out for a impromtu ride and ended up all the way across town. It was a nice ride!

Anything goes! :wink2:
Took a 100 mile ride along the Washington Coast with views over the ocean. Tourists all gone home so I have the place to myself pretty much. Managed to dodge the even present showers we have. Got home in time to a cocktail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took the g310gs in for the brake recall. While I was there, I spotted the 390 Adventure.

Took a test drive.
Here is my honest opinion of pros and cons:

Pros:
1. A lot more power and torque. You can feel it. Acceleration, and it didn't always feel like it was going to stall. I prefer the smoothness of the KTM and the sound.
2. TFT screen. Pretty much the same as the 790. Switch gear feels the same too.
3. Suspension. Comp/Rebound adjustable forks. Preload Rebound ajustable rear. Have been playing around with it and is well sprung for my 90ks with gear. The 310 used to bottom out on me. Even with the mrs on, the 390 didnt bottom out on the road.
The WP suspension is superior to the BMW. It is a different class all together.
4. Tyres. The TKC70s are a much better tyre and felt a whole lot more confident.
5. Seating position. I felt more comfy on the 390
6. Lights - LED and man they work a whole lot better.
7. Standard hand guards. Not as good as barkbusters, but they feel strong enough for the bikes weight and keeps hands warm.
8. Standard adjustable leavers
9. Switchable Electronics - Traction Control, Switchable ABS, 5 Axis IMU.
10. Integrated Nav/infotainment. Turn by turn nav and media player controlability from the handlebars.
11. Subjectivly, it looks better to me.
12. Brakes... Much better on the KTM. The BMW always felt mushy. The KTM has more bite but controllable.
13. Separate seats
14. KTM accessories are much cheaper
15. Adjustable screen. Even on low setting, it blocked a lot more air than the GS. On higher setting, blocks even more, but it buffetted my helmet as im only 5'8. Low setting felt better for me.
17. Mirrors dont shake

Cons:
1. Not as simple as the G310gs
2. the GS was a few hundred dollars cheaper
3. Rear brakes are better on the GS
4. Seats are harder on the KTM but not by much
5. Need to buy a separate rack if you want to mount a box

Reason for the upgrade. I felt the GS was lacking in quite a few key areas. It was my first adventure bike. I came from sports bikes before that.
I found the limitations in the first few months. I was happy to just live with it. But. After testing the KTM, it was a night and day difference for me. It steers more predicably, stops better, accelerates a quicker and having taken it through the tracks I used to take the GS on, It is a lot more capable. Only time will tell with the reliability. But engine wise, they have been using the same donk since the Duke 390 first came out, and looks like they've ironed out all the bugs.

At the end of the day, it was a personal choice. If I wanted to keep all the benefits of the BMW but modify it to the standard I would like it to be, It made sense to just get the KTM. Besides the seat, which i wasnt too fond of on the BMW anyway, it was everything I wish the BMW was.

I would suggest that anyone looking at a GS to test this out.

If you already have GS and test ride it, I would like to know your thoughts.

Nice, Pros and cons of both compared? What was the main reason for your upgrade?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll let you know when I've installed them. They claim the IONs foot peg height can be either at stock height or 15mm lower, which seems reasonable from looking at the mounting holes:
Does that effect access to the brake or shift lever? thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just replaced the totally lame OEM horn with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster (low tone version, model # 72112) - WOW! What a difference! I’m measuring 113 db at 6”. 👍
Was it just remove and plug and play or did you have to install a relay etc? thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you , i buy it for 4 euro. :)
next step, i will make engine spoiler and the rear wheel cover in the same carbon :sneaky:;)

401 - 415 of 415 Posts