BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gauge cluster on my G310R has been averaging 51 MPG give or take 1 MPG depending on how it's ridden. Seems to be a bit low compared to what it's rated for and what I've seen others have. Anyone experiencing the same?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine started off at 66mpg when I got the bike with 480 miles on the clock, it's currently at 73mpg with approximately 1200 miles up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I usually count how many KM I do per 10€ since I always refill based on how much I spend and not how long I travel. With the new rates in gasoline here it gets me about 3.25L/100km.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here in the USA I have the GS and push it pretty hard most of the time, lots of quick starts to be ahead of traffic when riding in city etc I avg around 62 MPG. When on the Freeways I avg around 72 to 75 MPH and get around 65 to 66 MPG. Here in California the highest grade fuel you can get is 91 octane, and I mostly use 87 or 89 around town. My mileage is based on both the instrument cluster and actual amount of fuel used for the distance driven.

·
Registered
57 Posts
62 mpg at 525 miles. 60% Commuting, 40% highway and freeway riding.

·
Registered
324 Posts
59.88 MPG on my first tank, 72.97 on my 2nd and 79.36 on my 3rd. Fuel light is on and I need to fill with a bit over 700 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
106 Posts
64 after hard ridding mountain roads mostly 4th and 5th gear. Oh up hill both ways lol j/k

·
Registered
255 Posts
After 30 fill ups, my average mpg is 62.25. This is calculated mpg, not the readout from the display. I’ve checked the bike’s computed mileage against the actual numbers from the odometer and the gas pump at every fill up, and the bike’s computed mpg might as well be from a random number generator. Sometimes it’s off by as much as 8 mpg.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Note - my numbers were also calculated (Excel spreadsheet). I've never looked at the trip computer. Based on Woodworks' comment above, I now need to compare them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
89mpg while running in at half revs

·
Registered
935 Posts
Average ..... about 33 km/liter (miles to the gallon .... ????)
1gallon is about 3,8 liter and 1 mile is about 1,6 kilometers.
Good luck figuring it out.

Oh yes, every time when I fill up, I write down the amount of liters I put in and the amount of kilometers I drove.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I already put 3000 miles on my bike, so probably filled my tank 20 times and the best I ever got was 63 MPG. I always calculate the trip distance and how many gallons go in after and I noticed that the computer is always 2-5 mpg lower.

Some of you getting 70+ mpg are probably being to soft on these bikes.. Como on guys you gotta push harder! hahahaha :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Never actually calculated it, but my MPG for the first 950 miles averaged out to 59 mpg with wide open canyon runs and commuting in the equation.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My average is 3.15 litres/100 km
Converts to approx 74.7 mpg (US) or 89.7 mpg (UK)
That's on a good mix of around 80 km/h + rural roads and some 50 Km/h limit urban roads on my commute.

If you're comparing your calculated consumption to the one displayed by the bike computer, don't forget to zero it when you top up the tank - the value it reports is the average value since it was last zeroed. It's pretty normal in my experience for the values displayed by ECUs to be slightly higher than what your calculate from top up volume and trip distance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you're comparing your calculated consumption to the one displayed by the bike computer, don't forget to zero it when you top up the tank - the value it reports is the average value since it was last zeroed. It's pretty normal in my experience for the values displayed by ECUs to be slightly higher than what your calculate from top up volume and trip distance.
I reset the consumption, average speed, and trip meter at every fill up. And the bike’s mpg display is sometimes high, sometimes low, but so far it has never been accurate. It was the same on my F800GS. More of a guesstimate than a calculation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
5,952 miles and 63.1 mpg. I had a 300 Honda before this bike and after 10,000 miles I averaged 62 mpg. Before that I had a Honda CTX 700 and averaged 66 mpg for 20,000 miles. A few years ago I rode a BMW 800S for 93,000 miles and averaged 59 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
I reset the consumption, average speed, and trip meter at every fill up. And the bike’s mpg display is sometimes high, sometimes low, but so far it has never been accurate. It was the same on my F800GS. More of a guesstimate than a calculation.
You won't be able to accurately compare calculated consumption to how much petrol you put in the tank if you zero it every tank full, as it is impossible to accurately fill the tank to the same level each time due to the expansion portions of the tank. You will get a better reading if you keep track over 5-10 tank fills.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Does it really matter on a thumper? 😂

1 - 20 of 43 Posts