BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

Registered
You won't be able to accurately compare calculated consumption to how much petrol you put in the tank if you zero it every tank full, as it is impossible to accurately fill the tank to the same level each time due to the expansion portions of the tank. You will get a better reading if you keep track over 5-10 tank fills.
Would I really see a wide variance due to tank expansion? If I park the bike on the side stand, and look into the tank to see where the fuel level is at the end of each fill up, I can't imagine the variance on a 2.9 l tank would be more than 50 ml/.015 gals. or so, even with tank expansion/contraction. And if I'm verifying the fuel level by sight each time, that seems like valid data to me. With which I can make some comparisons.

I have a phone app that allows me to enter all the fill up data in about 5 secs, so doing so after I hang up the gas hose is easy. And after 30 fill ups (not just 5-10), I'm starting to get a pretty good read on what my bike's mileage is in different conditions. Still haven't run it fully loaded all day at 70 mph into a headwind. But I'm sure that day will come. :laugh:

Does it really matter on a thumper? 馃槀
Yes, if you're trying to get from gas station to gas station out here in the empty parts of the western U.S. I can think of several routes out here where I'll have no choice but to carry spare fuel. Knowing how much fuel I've burned can prevent a very long walk.

Super Moderator
Petrol tanks (at least for cars) typically allow 5-10% empty space for expansion purposes, I don't know how much room the 310 allows for. So if you are only measuring between two fill ups and you don't run the tank completely dry (e.g. only fill up 7l) then you could have up to a 15% discrepancy (as an extreme example).

I agree that 30 fill ups will give you a pretty good read on what your bike's mileage is.

Premium Member
According to my dash, my bike's mileage so far has been 56 mpg. I only ride in heavy LA city traffic, so lots of lane splitting, stop and go, traffic lights. The fuel economy is so good, I don't want to bother trying to calculate it manually, it won't change it anyway.

Registered
My MPG has been in the low 60's, the reason is that the bike has some punch from about 10mph - 50mph and it's easy to crack that throttle...

Registered
Yes, if you're trying to get from gas station to gas station out here in the empty parts of the western U.S. I can think of several routes out here where I'll have no choice but to carry spare fuel. Knowing how much fuel I've burned can prevent a very long walk.
Valid point.

Reactions: WoodWorks

Registered
Bear in mind that the US gallon = 3.8L while in UK is 4.5L.Therefore UK mpg is always higher than the US.Btw most part of the world uses L/100km.

Registered
Lots of variables will determine your MPG as most of us know.
Wind, hills ,rpms, weight, fuel type, but all in all it seems anywhere from 50-65 MPG for most.

Registered
My average is at 4,1l/100 km with comes to 57 mpg US (says the bike, I'm not calculating).

The mandatory freeways to get out of the city are the main culprits, one I hit the countryside it goes down rather steeply

Registered
I鈥檝e been getting 3.2L per 100. Except when I wear my peaked helmet then I get 3.5. That鈥檚 averaging 90kmh on open road hardly an traffic with a couple kilos in a top box

Registered
I'm getting around 65. Large variance from the computer (which clocks in around 57 over 1200 miles). It's easy enough to fill to the cross bar and calculate the fuel used each time.

Registered
Using old school calculations, not the computer display, I鈥檓 averaging 60-66 mpg per tank, with variances per tank dependent upon driving conditions for that particular tank. I have over 800 miles on the bike now since I purchased it 7/31/18 so I believe it鈥檚 all settled in. 鈥淩iding in鈥 service was completed with 634 miles on the odometer. The computer shows an overall mpg of 62 & that seems about right. The mileage inludes a mixture of high speed (75-80 mph) & lots of around town riding as well.

Registered
I鈥檝e been getting around 68 to 72 mpg every time I ride it . Don鈥檛 do a lot of highways with this one. I bought it for backroads. 61 mpg at about 65 mph

Super Moderator
If it's not clear from your profile if you are in the US or UK, please indicate mpg(US) or mpg(UK), there is a big difference. About 20-17% depending on which way you are going.

Or just use the SI units of L/100km ;)

(sorry, I'm an engineer):p

Registered
Average ..... about 33 km/liter (miles to the gallon .... ????)
1gallon is about 3,8 liter and 1 mile is about 1,6 kilometers.
Good luck figuring it out.

Oh yes, every time when I fill up, I write down the amount of liters I put in and the amount of kilometers I drove.
Mine is the same. 33km / liter. (In English, 1 gallon is 4.55 liters, and in American measurements it's 3.8 liters, and a mile is 1.6km ) So in English it's 94 mpg: USA 78mpg.
My GS has now done 11,000km and this figure has been quite constant now for a long time. But fuel consumption, especially on a small bike, is affected by so many variables:- riding style, open road/highway/commuting, size and weight of rider to name a few.
I almost never use my bike in the city, and where I live are no big freeways. ALL of my riding is on undulating and twisting mountain roads with very few long straights. Consequently I'm at between 60 and 100 kph, most of the time around 80/85. Rarely above 5500 rpm 4th to 6th gear. I'm 182cm (6ft) 90kg (198lbs) clothed !
I did have a ride out one day in a group of riders on Harleys / GS1200s / Ducatis who where all cruising along at 110 - 120 kph. While keeping up was not a problem, I did notice my range dropped noticeably as my revs where 6000+ in 6th.

Registered
Does it really matter on a thumper? 馃槀
Well the answer is YES it does matter especially when you are in areas where fuel is expensive.
In USA they have the luxury of really CHEAP fuel whereas UK it is significantly more expensive.
However I don't think you can just say that 'It's cheaper in X country than Y country' because there is the question of local living costs to consider.
For example, in USA with generally higher salaries, based on averages an individual has to work ONLY 1.6 minutes to earn enough $ to buy 1 liter of fuel. In UK you would need to work for 4.5 minutes (lower salaries and higher cost) - almost 3 times as long!
Where I now live in the Philippines, the locals are REALLY screwed because fuel is over $1 per litre BUT their salaries are really LOW. So the poor Philippine worker has to toil for 20 minutes to pay for his 1 liter of fuel (over TWELVE times longer than someone from USA).
So does fuel consumption really matter ???? You can bet your LIFE it does!

Registered
In UK mpg terms (one Imperial gallon equals 1.2 US gallons), now that my GS has loosened off at 7000 miles, I tend to get a reading of mid to high eighties keeping up with a pal on a GS 1200. Motorway cruising reduces this to low to mid seventies. I check the actual every so often - the last time after going a run with a pal on a 1950s machine, so not overly fast, it worked out at 96 mpg. One day I'll manage to crack the 100 mark馃槉

21 - 40 of 43 Posts