BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the front tire on my 2019 G310GS 8,624 miles on it. Just before I started to balance it, I checked the smoothness of the bearings. the left (disc brake side) rotated smoothly, but the right is really rough. Poor quality?
I will be calling the dealer and see if they want me to bring the whole bike or can I just take the wheel? It is already off the bike. Used my hoist, lifted it way up, and didn't need any thing for the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I called the dealer. They said I could just bring the wheel, not the whole bike, since it is off the bike anyway.
Also told me they have another customers G310GS wheel there for the same reason. They ordered bearings for it (the other customer) 3 weeks ago, and still don't have them. No telling how long it will take? They will give me a call when the parts come in.
I URGE YOU TO CHECK YOUR BEARINGS if you do your own tires. But at least have the dealer who does your tires check the bearings.You can't tell anything is bad when riding it, and you can't feel it by just spinning your wheel while on the bike. But you can really feel how rough it is when you put your finger in it and roll it back and forth. It is shocking that a bearing would be worn out in 8,000 miles. As soon as I get the front wheel all done, I am going to check the rear.
My past 05 bmw r1200st went over 100,000 miles before it had a bearing go bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I called the dealer. They said I could just bring the wheel, not the whole bike, since it is off the bike anyway.
Also told me they have another customers G310GS wheel there for the same reason. They ordered bearings for it (the other customer) 3 weeks ago, and still don't have them. No telling how long it will take? They will give me a call when the parts come in.
I URGE YOU TO CHECK YOUR BEARINGS if you do your own tires. But at least have the dealer who does your tires check the bearings.You can't tell anything is bad when riding it, and you can't feel it by just spinning your wheel while on the bike. But you can really feel how rough it is when you put your finger in it and roll it back and forth. It is shocking that a bearing would be worn out in 8,000 miles. As soon as I get the front wheel all done, I am going to check the rear.
My past 05 bmw r1200st went over 100,000 miles before it had a bearing go bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good luck, My dealer has had my rear wheel and sprocket carrier for close to a month, waiting for bearing kits. Just checked yesterday with them and "they are maybe still in Germany". Almost 500,000 BMW miles but never an issue like this. These are just bearings!!!
I can get most any part for my 1972 R75/5 in days.
Meantime, 310GS just sits in the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, My dealer has had my rear wheel and sprocket carrier for close to a month, waiting for bearing kits. Just checked yesterday with them and "they are maybe still in Germany". Almost 500,000 BMW miles but never an issue like this. These are just bearings!!!
I can get most any part for my 1972 R75/5 in days.
Meantime, 310GS just sits in the garage.
If mine wasn't under warranty, I would just fix it myself. I miss not riding it, although I do have another bike to ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts