BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what type of experiences you all have had with wind noise on this bike, and if it was a problem have you found a good way to fix/minimize it? I have had my bike for a few months now. Have put on a little over 1k miles. One thing that bothers me to varying degrees is wind noise. Specifically above 55-60 mph. I have a givi touring windshield that I added a cheap extension to which helps. Prior to the extension it physically hurt my ears to ride it above about 45. Good quality Arai full face helmet which is supposed to be good with noise. Now with the extension, I can ride all day for the most part 55 and below and have a jolly good time. Faster highway speeds I feel like clark kent being introduced to kyptonite. We have property a little over an hour from my house that I keep some livestock at and that was the primary purpose that I bought the bike for to keep gas costs down. A good portion of it is above 65mph. Yesterday when riding on the way out it was so bad I felt like I needed to drop the bike and uber it home. Not worth risking my hearing. I had tried some shooting plugs yesterday (the soft cupped rubber type that are supposed to be good with impulse and still let you hear)....another damn mistake. I should have realized when they didnt work for shooting that motorcycle use would likely be no better...

Foam has been my best friend so far WHEN it is seated properly, sometimes that is not always easy either. I tried some of the bose ANC eabuds but couldnt get them under the helmut, so that was a fail. I have ordered a different brand of ANC to try to see if that is any better/different. Are there any specific plug brands or headphones that you guys think really shine? Are there any mods that you done to the bike to eliminate/better it? I am not sure if it is technically buffeting or just wind resonating but it is really almost a crippling sound when it starts...

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I upgraded my helmet, from LS2 to SHOEI I thought the GS's horn did not function properly (the bike was brand new). I took the bike to BMW dealer: when the technician asked me the keys I was removing my helmet. He pushed the horn button and there was a very loud noise!!! In fact my new helmet was protecting my ears extremely well from the ambiant sounds. With the LS2 this was always extremely noisy and after 3 years it was impossible to replace the worn foam inside the helmet... Thus this was time for a change. I am amazed by the build quality of SHOEI... and the attention to details.

In addition to a high quality helmet you may wear some earplugs, for example Moto Safe Tour (Alpine Hearing Protection) for additional comfort. They allow using the intercom ...

Note: I use the OEM windshield on my GS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had my 310 GS for a couple of months (my first bike).
My helmet is an O'Neal D-SRS, and the windnoise is extreme...
So in a couple of days a get my new Schubert C4 Pro helmet, and I really hope that helps :)
At the moment I drive with a Puig Touring windscreen, and Alpine Pro hearing protection plugs... and still the noise is extreme...
So my hope is that the Schubert helmet is a lot better :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’ve found that often the bolt on shields are often inadequate. Often making the issue worse. On my 310, it’s nice as is, adding a shield made it worse. The big tank plastic helps keep wind off chest. I’d suggest a good helmet with reviews that address wind noise. I use a Schubert. Really helps to keep helmet waxed up, believe it or not. Taller people suffer more with this and will have less success. You might get it satisfactory with experimentation. Deflecting the air below the handlebars on tank has proven the cure on the boxer GS along with big adjustable screens up top. If well funded and really wish success, contact Aeroflow and see if you can talk them into development. His stuff actually works really well, the best for GS line. Don’t forget it’s a 313cc GS not so much intended touring bike.

Reactions: LMarr [DK]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have currently both an existing Shoei and just purchased an Arai Signet-X Shockwave Helmet, running out of cash for 900$ helmets right now.o_O and my head is hard to fit a helmet to...The bike had the touring shield on it when I purchased it (used). nothing to pop on to compare it too. The new ANC ear buds are nice but cant put the helmet on without them coming dislodged so far, going to try it for a ride. Ordered some new foam options to try also. The new helmet does have small chin skirt that I took off when I purchased it, maybe I will add that back and see if that helps, I wanted more air when I first picked it up so I took it off, doesnt seem like it would do much more but guess i will keep trying and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that wind noise is unbearable at high speeds if you do nothing. My first few rides on the G310R, I had a full face HJC helmet (no earplugs). I couldn’t go over 50 mph without pain. I put an MRA windscreen on the bike and it definitely helped with making the bike more aerodynamic and less wind on my chest, but no difference in wind noise.

I bought pinlock earplugs and they were a GAMECHANGER. They stay in my ear securely and easily form a good seal every time. Comfortable and ~almost~ silences the wind. Next, I upgraded to a Nexx helmet (mid tier helmet, definitely more premium than HJC). Also a big difference. I can comfortably push the bike to 80+ mph without any discomfort in my ears. If your helmet doesn’t already have a chin pad, I’d also recommend one of those. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the wind noise comes from under the chin of the helmet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Have you tried the “no shield” option, just as a base point. I was pretty blown by the dirrerence between the Shuberth I have and the mid range Italian it replaced. I hear you on the money flow wrong way. Could be worse, you could have a horse or boat habit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried the “no shield” option, just as a base point. I was pretty blown by the dirrerence between the Shuberth I have and the mid range Italian it replaced. I hear you on the money flow wrong way. Could be worse, you could have a horse or boat habit.
You had to bring up the horse didnt you.....

I did kick the boating habit though...

I like no shield up until about 45 mph with the extension....

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
For context, I just spent 4 months trying to quiet down an Africa Twin. Now THAT bike is heinously noisy, including both wind "rush" and horrible buffeting. So I traded it in on the 3GS, which is a dream compared to the AT. Hell, my DRZ was a dream compared to the AT.

In my experience, windscreens can be either solutions-to or amplifiers-of wind noise and buffeting. The point is that they create untested airflows over the bike and rider, and these streamlines vary with velocity, rider height, and gear.

So start with the basics: wear quiet gear (mainly helmet) and get the bike to some known baseline, ideally the OEM config (or even, as @ARBOLMANO suggested, naked). Then start adding solutions per budget, energy, and results. As I said, I've just been through this with the AT.

Also, question all known truths, such as these:
  • You think you have good earplugs. Do they work well around household noise sources (e.g., electric drill, vacuum, music, etc.).
  • You have sophisticated, well-regarded helmets. How quiet are they in other wind streams? Stick your head out a car window at various speeds (as a passenger and away from obstacles).
Good luck. It's not easy, and only you can judge results.

·
Super Moderator
1,367 Posts
I would recommend the Alpine Motosafe ear plugs. In terms of boats and horses, had a boat until my early twenties, ended up giving it to the sea scouts as it was too expensive to maintain, (my wife) had a horse until about a year ago, and we sold the horse float in 2017 to pay for the G310R. 🤣

·
Registered
750 Posts
For some a windshield is easy. One must recall, it’s a “dual sport” moto. Not going to be a super touring unit or ultimate off road weapon. It is a comprimise. A very good comprimise but still a comprimise. If wind noise really bugs you or lots of freeway in your riding you may have the wrong bike. Success on controlling is somewhat based on how tall you are. This is a bike sized for World riders not Americans. Good luck if your over 5’9” It is amazing the difference a quality helmet makes. When I was whole, I’d admit to simply wearing ear buds and crank tunes, no wind noise…..but it’s dangerous to do.
I put myself through school with horses. Most expensive non competitive hobby. Cost piles even when not in use, which worked well for me. About four tax brackets above me to own one and would require serious brain damage to go that path again.
If I had a long regular ride, I’d get a used Goldwing myself. Correct tool for job at hand and a true “pack mule”. You can ride in rain and not get wet! Go really really fast. All models are the bomb Deals keep showing up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For some a windshield is easy. One must recall, it’s a “dual sport” moto. Not going to be a super touring unit or ultimate off road weapon. It is a comprimise. A very good comprimise but still a comprimise. If wind noise really bugs you or lots of freeway in your riding you may have the wrong bike. Success on controlling is somewhat based on how tall you are. This is a bike sized for World riders not Americans. Good luck if your over 5’9” It is amazing the difference a quality helmet makes. When I was whole, I’d admit to simply wearing ear buds and crank tunes, no wind noise…..but it’s dangerous to do.
I put myself through school with horses. Most expensive non competitive hobby. Cost piles even when not in use, which worked well for me. About four tax brackets above me to own one and would require serious brain damage to go that path again.
If I had a long regular ride, I’d get a used Goldwing myself. Correct tool for job at hand and a true “pack mule”. You can ride in rain and not get wet! Go really really fast. All models are the bomb Deals keep showing up.
Many thanks for reply.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There is one possible alternative though it’s designed for the r models not GS. NativeEnterprise makes a fairing for road racing. Really appears it could be fitted to the GS for effective wind control. Maybe maybe maybe and not inexpensive to try.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In June, I did a 7,101 mile trip on my G3GS; I rode very comfortably noise-wise. The GS is equipped with a Rally Raid Touring Screen, but that doesn't help with noise much, if at all. My helmet is one of the quietest available, a Schuberth C4 Pro Carbon, and that helps some, but not enough by itself to avoid hearing loss and noise induced fatigue. Some 25 years ago, my audiologist detected some hearing loss and grilled me on what I'd been doing. As soon as I mentioned motorcycles, he said, "you're wearing ear plugs, right?" I wasn't. Thanks to his orders (we were both military), I started using ear plugs and I recovered my hearing. After 40+ years and over 600,000 miles of riding, I still have perfect hearing. (Except when my wife asks me something, at least according to her anyway.)

I've tried pretty much every type of ear plug/bud there is from half a dozen different providers ranging from 50 cent foam to $1000 custom molded with triple speakers (called transducers at that size). The best I've had, and what I wear now at a cost of about $400, are custom molded wired single transducer ear plugs from Big Ear (https://www.bigearinc.com/product/motorcycle-earbuds-single/). I used the wired versions connected to my Sena so I can hear music, audiobooks, and intercom. I no longer use multi-transducer versions because they sound better at the vendor's booth, but I couldn't tell the difference between my triples versus my singles on the bike and in motion.

If you go the custom molded route, no matter who you buy from, make sure you get the type that has carbon fiber reinforced wires, hard shells on the exterior of the ear plug to firmly hold those wires, and soft latex/rubber/whatever on the interior to be gentle on your inner ears. I've tried types that were all soft and the wires inevitably get pulled out. I've tried types that were all hard and they would be increasing painful day-by-day during a long trip until I had to stop wearing them. For me, the hard interior type was OK for short term, but not all day and not multiple day trips. I've tried non-custom molded ear buds and they didn't stay in and/or seal well enough for me.

When I travel, I carry a primary set and a backup set of custom molded wired ear plugs, a set of custom molded non-wired ear plugs to back those up, and a set of bullet shaped foam ear plugs as my final backup. During one trip, I developed an ear ache and all my custom molded plugs hurt, so I stopped at a gun shop and bought foam plugs. Those foam plugs worked well despite the ear ache and that's why I always carry a set of those now.

Final notes: I never, ever, ride without hearing protection. I don't want the hearing damage and I don't want the fatigue. Yes, some states frown on wired ear plugs; when I've been stopped, I always ask the officer to wait a moment so I can remove my hearing protection, then I take my helmet off and ear plugs out. I've never had any officer in any state raise them as an issue. If they did, I'd truthfully say that I'm wearing them under doctor's orders.

Hope this helps.
JerryG

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
yes, i always use ear plugs, my exhaust i loud because I removed the baffle. ear plugs can save you from damaging your ears. but if you drive a lot on the highway, there are might be some windshield available. i did not look into it, because I drive in the mountains, so not very fast.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts