BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
yes, i always use ear plugs, my exhaust i loud because I removed the baffle. ear plugs can save you from damaging your ears. but if you drive a lot on the highway, there are might be some windshield available. i did not look into it, because I drive in the mountains, so not very fast.
I find large fairings trap annoying engine noise right in the cockpit. I much prefer letting that noise blow behind me and reducing noise via arplugs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am curious what type of experiences you all have had with wind noise on this bike, and if it was a problem have you found a good way to fix/minimize it? I have had my bike for a few months now. Have put on a little over 1k miles. One thing that bothers me to varying degrees is wind noise. Specifically above 55-60 mph. I have a givi touring windshield that I added a cheap extension to which helps. Prior to the extension it physically hurt my ears to ride it above about 45. Good quality Arai full face helmet which is supposed to be good with noise. Now with the extension, I can ride all day for the most part 55 and below and have a jolly good time. Faster highway speeds I feel like clark kent being introduced to kyptonite. We have property a little over an hour from my house that I keep some livestock at and that was the primary purpose that I bought the bike for to keep gas costs down. A good portion of it is above 65mph. Yesterday when riding on the way out it was so bad I felt like I needed to drop the bike and uber it home. Not worth risking my hearing. I had tried some shooting plugs yesterday (the soft cupped rubber type that are supposed to be good with impulse and still let you hear)....another damn mistake. I should have realized when they didnt work for shooting that motorcycle use would likely be no better...

Foam has been my best friend so far WHEN it is seated properly, sometimes that is not always easy either. I tried some of the bose ANC eabuds but couldnt get them under the helmut, so that was a fail. I have ordered a different brand of ANC to try to see if that is any better/different. Are there any specific plug brands or headphones that you guys think really shine? Are there any mods that you done to the bike to eliminate/better it? I am not sure if it is technically buffeting or just wind resonating but it is really almost a crippling sound when it starts...
I use custom made DB Blockers. Cost was close to CDN$ 200.00 a few years ago but WELL worth the investment.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Interesting studies that show it’s the constant wind noise that bites into your hearing long term. Quality helmet and ear plugs good practice if you enjoy hearing. Proper fitting and designed helmet, one can delete ear plugs.

Reactions: LMarr [DK]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After about 2k miles of road driving and futzing I figured it out. Foam ear plugs work fine with the caveat that they are perfectly placed in my ear canal. I have been using these all my life, work outside with them, shoot with them, and never had an issue in normal use. What I found is that if they are even SLIGHTLY leaking the pressure waves are almost unbearable. If I give them the time and ensure that they expand properly and have a perfect seal, I can ride all day on the freeway with absolute enjoyment. Sometimes I think that they have sealed good and they actually havent. I can tell as soon as I hit the road. I have my shokx bone transmitting headphones on my cheeks and can hear them perfectly at low volume. I have found that the foam plugs have on multiple occasions slowly started to "leak" sound while I am riding and now I know as soon as it happens to stop and take a few minutes to take off the helmet pull out the plug roll em up, put them back in and wait until they fully expand, and make sure that they have completely sealed.

Its funny that you can overlook the simplest thing at times. I am glad that i figured it out. I didnt like the bike when I first started riding it above 45 mph or so, felt sketchy, sound was KILLING me. Some quality seat time and spending some time to figure out what was really going on, I can ride at 75 all day long rather comfortably (with the exception of the air wake of semis....)

I am growing to like this bike slowly. If I can find the right rubber for my situation I will have fixed the worst of my gripes. Still would like better highway mileage at 60-75 mph, better suspension and more power but that unicorn hasn't been spotted yet.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I too have found that ear plugs do no good if they don’t fit. The suspension is easily addressed with a kit from Rally Raid. Stiffening the suspension help a little with power transmission. If you doing much free way you could try a larger countershaft sprocket but you’ll lose low end. Might ease noise and increase economy. Riding does wonders.

·
Registered
2022 G310GS Polar White
10 Posts
I have the National Cycle V-Stream windshield on my 310GS, and it is extremely quiet... quiet to the point I don't always remember to put in my earplugs. I have the middle height option (they make 3 sizes). It flows air around you and is not turbulent at all.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That is a nice looking shield, I will look into that. As a side note, for the Grommets that hold the shield in, I noticed that I have a loose one at the bottom. Is there a way to tighten the actual plastic grommit at all? Are they supposed to be permanently affixed? I was thinking it may need a two part epoxy plastic weld but not sure how they are held in. Dont need that coming off at 75 mph and clocking me in the throat....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts