BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like several other owners commented on in a Facebook group chat, I had problems with my mounting screws/sockets on my GS.
I since discovered (more about how, later) that the TOP 2 fixings are actually into captive nuts which are molded into the dash panel surround and actually connect 3 parts .... the Screen, the headlight surround and the dashboard surround. The BOTTOM fixings are just metal threaded inserts moulded into the back of the headlight surround.
When I was fitting my Puig touring screen the Side-to-side centers of the mounting holes were a good 5mm smaller on the Puig screen. This was because after moulding the curvature had ‘contracted’ during cooling , pulling the holes together!
My answer at the time was to fit the left side top and bottom screws, then ‘force’ the screen more flat which opened up the hole centres allowing me to fit it!
Yes it worked, BUT the force on the lower mounting screw pulled the insert out! I fixed it t with some epoxy and hoped for the best.
Now..... fast forward 12 months.
I have wanted to change the angle of my screen for some time now and had seen other riders experiences. Basically by adding a 6mm spacer to the BOTTOM and a 12mm spacer to the TOP you achieve 2 things....
1)- The angle of the screen is made slightly more upright. This redirects the airflow up over your helmet and is much more comfortable when cruising.
2)- It moves the screen slightly further away from the headlight surround which allows a little more air behind the screen. This counteracts any buffeting created by #1 !
Now, knowing already the problem with the lower fixing, I removed all the plastic (NOT a quick job I can assure you) and removed the moulded plastic from behind the surround which had previously failed, and fabricated a length of steel onto which I added a captive nut! I also drilled and fixed this bracket through the headlight surround so it couldn’t move should I need to remove the screen in the future.
A quick test ride at speeds up to 80kph has moved the airflow from my helmet peak to now over my head.
Success.
I’ll post some pictures soon as it started raining just as I was to take some today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is one of the brackets I fitted behind the headlight surround. It is fixed into place by the small black M4 screw and nut in the middle.
The top captive nut was later removed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures as promised.....

This is the screen front side view. You can see the spacers through the screen... 6mm at the bottom, 12mm at the top.

The spacers as seen from the inside of the screen.

This is the new angle of the screen.

.... and this is the increased space between the screen and the headlight surround.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well done! Had the same issue when replacing the stock with a cheap tall shield off AliExpress. Glued the nuts back into the moulds, but the holes were so much closer that I had to use a heat gun to flatten out the shield just enough to force the screws through. Very tricky and a little scary, but got there in the end. You're right about it not being a small job, and I'm not even contemplating taking it off again! Your redo makes sense, but maybe because my cheap shield might be a little taller (and maybe also because I'm a little fella), I've found the buffeting doesn't exist unless I sit bolt upright and raise my head high. Good enough, and definitely a huge improvement. But again, well done, and good on you for sharing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE.....
The change in the screen angle achieved by adding different length spacers didn’t work! At least not for my 183cm height. In fact if anything there was shyly more wind and a little buffeting.
So I’m trying the OPPOSITE with longer spacers on the bottom to decrease the screen angle a few degrees.
I’m going out now for a test ride.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been looking myself for a touring windshield, I am 184 in height , so I needed a tall windshield.
I have been through a lot of model on internet. I noticed on the Wunderlich windshield MARATHON, Wunderlich windshield G 310 GS transparent
they have added brackets to support the windshield

I think the brackets resolves 2 issues:
  • the problems with the mounting screws
  • the issue with the windshield plastic base. As the support is in plastic, it is easily bent by hand, so at high speed with a big windshield the plastic will bend.

Did any one install this windshield ? And does it protect well from wind buffering ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been looking myself for a touring windshield, I am 184 in height , so I needed a tall windshield.
I have been through a lot of model on internet. I noticed on the Wunderlich windshield MARATHON, Wunderlich windshield G 310 GS transparent
they have added brackets to support the windshield
View attachment 15559

I think the brackets resolves 2 issues:
  • the problems with the mounting screws
  • the issue with the windshield plastic base. As the support is in plastic, it is easily bent by hand, so at high speed with a big windshield the plastic will bend.

Did any one install this windshield ? And does it protect well from wind buffering ?
You are correct to say that the screen stability is compromised simply because it is mounted onto a FLEXIBLE plastic panel!
I have found that my taller Puig touring screen wobbles MORE at low speed over uneven surfaces (not a good scenario for an adventure bike designed for some off-road!), but at highway speeds the wind force on the screen tends to hold it reasonably stable.
The screen in your pictures has what look like 'arms' which mount down onto the frame of the bike. I've seen these used before on another screen and I have thought of making something similar to fit to my Puig screen. They would certainly help.
For your information, my Puig touring screen also has an MRA Vario Blade above it which I can adjust to get the perfect airflow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
...(not a good scenario for an adventure bike designed for some off-road!)...
I would change that sentence to: not a good scenario for an adventure bike designed to look like good for some off-road!
The screen in your pictures has what look like 'arms' which mount down onto the frame of the bike. I've seen these used before on another screen and I have thought of making something similar to fit to my Puig screen. They would certainly help.
I made my own arms for a GPS mount bar by cutting them out from a piece of scrap aluminium I had left over from an other project. Gives good stability for both screen and navigator, (a Tomtom 550) both on and off road.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced the OEM windshield with the Puig one and realized that 2 of the 4 four screws holding the windshield are too long and do not able to tighten the windshield. I replaced them with two shorter ones and that solved the problem

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the OEM windshield with the Puig one and realized that 2 of the 4 four screws holding the windshield are too long and do not able to tighten the windshield. I replaced them with two shorter ones and that solved the problem
I’m trying to I imagine why the screws would be too long!
..... and can’t think of a reason.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’m trying to I imagine why the screws would be too long!
..... and can’t think of a reason.

the screws are the two at the bottom. two explanations:
1) the puig windshield is thinner that the OEM one.
2) the the hole where to put the screws is closed at the end and you cannot tighten the screws because there is no room for doing it.

In alternative one can use the standard screws but insert a couple of washers...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts