BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Unfortunately I'm beginning to plan for winter storage in an unheated garage.
Does anyone have a fuel stabilizer favorite they could share with me?
This is my first BMW so I was looking for some advice as far as how picky they are with any fuel additives.

Also, if the second oil change isn't recommend until 6000 miles, should I change the oil before storing for the winter if i'm only 1200 miles in?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Personally, I use good old fashioned Stabil - it’s good for ethanol or non-ethanol gasoline & keeps fuel fresh for up to 2 years. I only let fuel sit for 1 year though. I have an emergency gas generator in case of power outages & keep gas on hand & have never had an issue with Stabil. After a year, I dump the gas cans into my vehicle(s) & go get fresh gas for the gas cans.

As far as your oil change, I would change it when it comes OUT of storage.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No preferences on the stabilizer here, been using a few different kinds over the years. I doubt the recipe changes much from brand to brand, besides a different label. (stuff is red and always smells the same) :)
For the oil, as per manual, yes next recommended is a 6K miles OR 12 months since the last change, whichever comes first, so you'd probably be soon due to change it spring.
+1 on the idea to change it after winter than before - so you start the season with something fresh.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No preferences on the stabilizer here, been using a few different kinds over the years. I doubt the recipe changes much from brand to brand, besides a different label. (stuff is red and always smells the same) :)
For the oil, as per manual, yes next recommended is a 6K miles OR 12 months since the last change, whichever comes first, so you'd probably be soon due to change it spring.
+1 on the idea to change it after winter than before - so you start the season with something fresh.
I had thought it best to change it both before and after winter storage....
thought being that all that gunk in the oil will be experiencing some harsh temperature changes for a few months and best not to store used oil in a freezing cold engine....
I admit I am coming from owning vintage Japanese bikes until now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had thought it best to change it both before and after winter storage....
thought being that all that gunk in the oil will be experiencing some harsh temperature changes for a few months and best not to store used oil in a freezing cold engine....
I admit I am coming from owning vintage Japanese bikes until now.
Well, I agree if the bike was currently filled with very old, not mentioning gunky oil, it would be a good idea to change it before storage. But in your case, assuming the 1st service was done it means the current oil is only what, 500 or 600 miles old? I think it would be a waste to drop it. No noticeable benefit in return.

·
Registered
82 Posts
And while you't are talking about storing it over the winter months, don't forget about keeping the battery charged.

Also move it a bit every couple of weeks if you can so the tires do not get flat spots...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll keep the battery indoors for the winter. Thanks for the advice. I can still get a few more rides in before the darkness settles in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don’t have to winterize bikes anymore since I now live in S.Cal. But this is that is did when I lived in the Midwest:
Add Seafoam to gas tank at the amount recommended on bottle. I did it in a nearly empty tank, then went to gas station and filled up. Ride it for at less than a few miles so the product can move through system. From everything I researched seafoam is the best product for this.

Connect battery to battery tender. I never removed the battery from the bikes because I would find days here and there I could go for a short ride. ....except one very brutal February where the ice and salt never left the road. Honestly the best thing can do to have a running bike in the spring is keep it running, even just a little in the winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi All,
Unfortunately I'm beginning to plan for winter storage in an unheated garage.
Does anyone have a fuel stabilizer favorite they could share with me?
This is my first BMW so I was looking for some advice as far as how picky they are with any fuel additives.

Also, if the second oil change isn't recommend until 6000 miles, should I change the oil before storing for the winter if i'm only 1200 miles in?

Does Gasoline Go Bad? Read this...
https://www.livescience.com/58117-does-gasoline-go-bad.html

Gasoline without Ethanol added should have a shelf like of a couple of years. With Ethanol not so much...
Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life

If you are planning on changing the Oil in the Spring I would suggest now. Changing the Oil with only 1200 miles in seems like overkill to me.

See below advise from two separate sources:

From Motorcycle Winter Storage - Motorcycle Maintenance Guide
https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/motorcyclewinterstorage?d=1

2. Change The Oil
Tip: Just like cars a colder winter grade oil will allow your bike to start easier in colder weather. If your motorcycle runs ok with a cold winter grade oil (5w30) then changing the oil to this grade will help startup and running in spring.
Even if the oil is not due for a change, byproducts of combustion produce acids in the oil which will harm the inner metal surfaces. Warm the engine to its normal operating temperature, as warm oil drains much faster and more completely.
While you are at it, why not ch"motorcycle winterizing" nge the filter too? Add fresh motorcycle grade oil. Remember to dispose of the drained oil and old filter in a responsible manner. What to do with the old oil? Recycle it. Most stores you have purchased the oil from will take it back free of change to be recycled.

And from Winter Storage Tips for Your Motorcycle...
Don't Let the Oil Spoil in Storage
The off season is a perfect time for routine maintenance. If your oil is even close to the end of its life cycle, now is the time for fresh oil and a new oil filter. Storing your motorcycle with fresh oil and a new filter will help reduce the amount of particulates that will settle in the bottom of your engine and prevent sludge from forming. Make sure to run you engine for a few minutes after changing your oil and filter so that it has time to circulate through the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have quite a bit of power sport equipment. My friends and I swear by Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment.

Available at most auto parts stores, BMW Dealers and WalMart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts