BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how everyone will winterize their shiny new 310's for storage over the winter since they're all so new, at least here in the US.

I plan to top off the tank, add stabilizer and run it a little, then hook it up to a battery tender, cover it, and park it in a lonely corner of my garage. Unfortunately, I'm apparently not allowed to display it in the living room. :wink2:

Am I missing anything critical? Since it's so new I don't imagine a complete fluid flush is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Do we have the same spouse ?
Mine doesn’t let me put this and all the other previous bikes in the living room and we have a big living room.
That’s why I will put the R in the garage and probably do not really do anything for the winter.
Our winters for the last decade are not really filled with snow and ice and when the sun is shining, even when it is a little bit freezing, I might want to go out for a nice (short) ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wish I were in the same boat as you, although here in NH I'm expecting a six month winter at least.

My rationale was that we have a beautiful berber white carpet, why not match it with some motorsport white as well! Didn't fly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fortunately, climate here where I am in NZ is very moderate, winter is just a tad wet. It's not all that cold either, Auckland region gets a few frosts so early morning riding to work can be pretty "nippy", but average temperatures are generally not a lot less than 10 °C (50 °F for those of that persuasion).

·
Registered
15 Posts
You're fine. I'm in Maine and your regimen is all I have done with my other BMW's (1200R and 1200RT). They'll be fine.

And I usually don't store the bike till the first time they salt the roads...it was well into December last year...and they come out around April once the first good rain washes the salt off. Usually about a 5 month layoff. Others ride all year but I don't want the corrosion issues that may ensue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Think this tender would work? Says it does AGM batteries. My last tender went with the bike when I sold it and I forget what I used...

·
Registered
337 Posts
The manual says disconnect the battery
before charging in wintertime
Sounds crazy to me
Are they affraid to burn the bike down or exploding the batterie?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just bought the original bmw battery charger.
The manual says to plug it into the ‘cigarette lighter’ and ...... do not nothing.
The battery charger takes care of everything and will charge and decharge if needed.

My bmw will stay in a heated garage and when the weather is nice, the Beamer is always ready to hit the road.
Hopefully we have a mild and sunny winter !

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Don't have any winterisation problems here, but would imagine that inflating the tyres a bit more and potentially getting them off the ground would be important. Apparently batteries discharge at about 1% per day, saw somewhere else that it is advisable to start the motor every 20 or so days to let the battery recharge if no battery tender is used.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought the original bmw battery charger.
The manual says to plug it into the ‘cigarette lighter’ and ...... do not nothing.
The battery charger takes care of everything and will charge and decharge if needed.

My bmw will stay in a heated garage and when the weather is nice, the Beamer is always ready to hit the road.
Hopefully we have a mild and sunny winter !
The power outlet is an extra right? Didn't find it yet on my bike. ;)

Have an Optimate connectors on the battery and have the charger connected directly. Via the "cigarette lighter" uses the canbus on the more expensive big BMW's, but our G doesn't have that option I think. The BMW chargers (or Optimate) have two programs, one for direct and one for canbus charging, so you have to select the right one...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yes, the power in / outlet is an extra option
I placed one at the original place (left under the saddle) and use It for the batterij charge.
When I bougt the original BMW I could also choose the optimale which is also very good.

I think our G310has also canbus.
I will look at the settings for the battery charger again (canbus or no canbus !)

Tonnetje, nice bubble.
Where did you get it from.
Is it one that inflates itself every once in a while ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Tonnetje, I see both wheels are on the ground.
I usually store the bike with the two wheels from the ground.
With no center stand it will be an issue but using the front wheel clamp and a carjack to lift the rear part it can work.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yep the weels are on the ground but its not a big problem i think
my last bike have sitting 18 months on side stand in the garage was 380 kilograms
and no unballance in the tires at all
the tires from the bmw are now 2.5bar for the next 5 months
this bike is half the weight off the harley so thats no problem i guess
the bike buble stays this way until the power from the blower is cutting off:nerd:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm apparently not allowed to display it in the living room. :wink2:
Can’t display mine in the living room either so it’s in the dining room instead! :grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts