BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on the trails with some mates. Bike fell during a river crossing. Pretty shallow and i killed the engine immediately. Fell on the right side. Picked it up quick. Switch gear got wet. Now it won't crank. Tries to but just clicks. After a while batt died. Now waiting for a truck to come pick it and take it home. Real pain in the behind. Get it home hook it up to another batt and try again. Any ideas what could be the issue?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Sounds like something electrical to me. Check the fuses, then hook it up to the MotoScan OBD reader (see elsewhere on the forum, you need a plug-in dongle) and see if the bike can tell you 'where it hurts'. Good luck.

Reactions: JPKenya

·
Registered
12 Posts
This had happened to me end of October 2018 when the bike (G310R) was brand new, it had run only 250 km, I was trying to cross a water crossing which was shallow but lots of rocks in it, I couldn’t see them as the water was muddy subsequently I went over one of rocks, lost my balance and fell on the right side I quickly cut the engine and pushed the bike out. I later tried my best to start the bike but wouldn’t start. Ultimately I had to tow the bike to the BMW workshop, thereafter inspecting the bike they told me that the water had entered into the engine oil chamber through the air filter or silencer or both thus spoiling the engine oil which had turned white color. Then they flushed engine oil twice and replaced with a new one. Now the bike is running fine but once again I replaced the oil after 1000km as per the dealer's advice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Possible entry point may have been the oil cap, which is on the lower right side by the foot peg. If the cap wasn't sealed properly and hot engine submerged in cold water, it can make the internal gases cool and create a vacuum/suction - pulling water in.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I don't know. How does some water getting into the oil prevent a bike from starting?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Possible entry point may have been the oil cap, which is on the lower right side by the foot peg. If the cap wasn't sealed properly and hot engine submerged in cold water, it can make the internal gases cool and create a vacuum/suction - pulling water in.
I think the water has entered through the air intake which is on the right side, and also the air filter was wet and muddy. So I had to replace the air filter also.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How would water from intake end up in the oil pan? Water from intake would end up in the cylinder, and pretty much bend a few parts quickly (hydrolock).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i can confirm that there is water in the engine. I can see it thru the sight glass. Since it's under warranty and also comprehensive insurance i think it's best i send it back to the dealer to sort out. It's 300 miles away but i think this is whats best

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This had happened to me end of October 2018 when the bike (G310R) was brand new, it had run only 250 km, I was trying to cross a water crossing which was shallow but lots of rocks in it, I couldn’t see them as the water was muddy subsequently I went over one of rocks, lost my balance and fell on the right side I quickly cut the engine and pushed the bike out. I later tried my best to start the bike but wouldn’t start. Ultimately I had to tow the bike to the BMW workshop, thereafter inspecting the bike they told me that the water had entered into the engine oil chamber through the air filter or silencer or both thus spoiling the engine oil which had turned white color. Then they flushed engine oil twice and replaced with a new one. Now the bike is running fine but once again I replaced the oil after 1000km as per the dealer's advice.

Do you know if they replaced the oil filter and air filter at this time?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Do you know if they replaced the oil filter and air filter at this time?

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
This happened to another member in the forum, the bike was written off after it ingested water into the engine.

The fact that the water has gone past your seals and into the oil is a bad sign :(

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would change the engine oil again very very soon. it is not so easy to get rid of that emulsion, even though some of it will evaporate with engine fully hot. anyway, i personally change oil several times in the first 1000km, as this is when the main braking in of the engine happens.

the snorkel in this bike is too low which is bad for both dust and crossing water. the oiled foam prefilter I have on my snorkel supposed also protect against water...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have talked to the dealer yesterday and explained what happen. Sent him the video of the fall. He's going to call me today to give the best way to proceed. Either they let me fix it myself. Or they insist i send it back or we write the bike off. I take the money and buy something a bit more waterproof :)

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Wishing you the best possible outcome. Let us know what they say the problem was and if possible how it could be fixed.

·
Registered
751 Posts
let's not forget that this bike is not made for off-roading, but just adventuring in not so good roads. there are other bikes for that purpose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Final update. I got tired of waiting for BMW to get back to me and tell me the best way forward. So i decided to do it myself. Drained the oil. Was about a litre of water in it. Took off the spark plug and cranked the engine a couple of times. Filled with oil and started the engine. Took a few cranks to start. Then flushed the engine with fresh oil 4 times until it was running clear. Tomorrow I'll give it a proper clean now that the Plastics are off. So in the end it all worked out OK!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts