BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Yeh did that thanks.
I've ridden about 350 to 400km since the oil change now and I think things are settling down a little. Certainly the gear change feels better. Can't say I've noticed any difference in engine noise though.
I do have some Liqui Moli mos2 which I may drop in just to help things.
It's difficult to gauge any difference in fuel consumption either since the last 200km were 2 up and some town driving, so that 'claim' remains unproven. However despite manufacturers' claims of greater periods between oil changes I'm still going to change mine every 6000km or so with maybe just the filter change every 12k.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO,

DON"T USE LIQUI MOLI!!!

It will damage the diamond like coating (DLC) on the cylinders and other engine components that have DLC.

·
Registered
167 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO,

DON"T USE LIQUI MOLI!!!

It will damage the diamond like coating (DLC) on the cylinders and other engine components that have DLC.

Seriously??? Never heard of this before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Seriously??? Never heard of this before!

Page 117, BMW G310GS Rider's manual, English edition:
"Additives (e.g. molybdenum-based) are not permissible
because they can attack coated components
of the engine, BMW Motorrad recommends
BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Pro oil."

It's your choice to use any oil and/or additives you want, but that could void your warranty. What dammages could be caused is an other discusion.
An old truth is; It's better to use a "bad" oil, than no oil at all. YMMV.

·
Registered
167 Posts

It's your choice to use any oil and/or additives you want, but that could void your warranty. What dammages could be caused is an other discusion.

****!
I already put 30ml in before I saw the warning post!
Ok best thing for me to do (as it’s only been in the engine for 150km) I guess is to drain the oil and refill again with fresh.
$50 worth of oil is cheaper than a new engine!

·
Registered
136 Posts

One would like to think that the £18 a litre oil at my BMW dealer has all the "additives" it needs. There may have been some argument for additional additives in the Seventies but today's quality oil, eg Shell, is unlikely to be improved by adulteration.

The warning quoted shows just how complex the issue is nowadays as we have no idea how any oil other than manufacturers recommended could react with various aspects of a motor's construction and use. Could be a problem of course as oil specs change in future and current recommendations are no longer available.

I know a pal had terrible problems after a well known accessory chain put the wrong oil in his car and Audi washed their hands of the problems as a result.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
Little correction, DLC is actually Diamond Like Carbon. A DLC coating has high hardness and low friction, and is far superior to a chrome coating.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
This is why I stick to BMW Avantec oil. Why take any chance for a few $ or because I think I know better than the manufacturer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was curious to see what TVS recommend for the Apache - Motul 3000 4t, 15/50, which is a mineral oil.
I wonder if this is to do with what is available on the Indian market.

·
Registered
167 Posts
BMW MOTORRAD are coming to replace my brake calipers next week which is good to hear (as I’m in Philippines where there has been no recall..... yet), BUT even though I have only just changed the oil myself for Motul fully synthetic and a K&N filter, they are insisting on replacing the oil with ‘BMW recommended’ oil!!!!!
This is ‘annoying’ because I’ve used one of the highest quality motorbike oils on the market and I feel I’m being held to ransom in order for them to change my calipers!
I feel like i must reluctantly accept their terms!

·
Registered
236 Posts
well Geoff ... at the end of the day it is YOUR bike not theirs....!
[I'm also a fan of motul and have used it]

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is getting even more ridiculous.......

I live on a quite remote island province in Philippines.
I changed my oil last week putting in MOTUL FULLY SYNTHETIC (**** expensive) with a K&N filter.

Quite by coincidence only 3 days ago I received an email from BMW on the Philippine mainland that they were sending a technician to carry out servicing and warranty issues to me.
Of course I wanted my brake calipers changing so I agreed. However they told me that my bike had to be filled with ‘BMW Approved’ engine oil to maintain my warranty.
So, in a nutshell, they were ‘blackmailing’ me to use their expensive oil so that I can have my calipers changed. I reluctantly agreed,

TODAY they have told me that they can’t bring oil on the plane, but they’re bringing a filter. They want me to go and buy ANY 10-50 oil and they will change just the oil, and I can keep the filter for the NEXT oil change!
So I’ve got to drain my $28/liter Motul oil, replace it with any cheap 10-50 oil...., because the guy has got to physically do an oil change in order to stamp my service book, before they’ll fit my calipers!!!!!!

Am I alone here in thinking this is COMPLETELY ridiculous?

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts

I changed my oil last week putting in MOTUL FULLY SYNTHETIC (**** expensive) with a K&N filter.

Quite by coincidence only 3 days ago I received an email from BMW on the Philippine mainland that they were sending a technician to carry out servicing and warranty issues to me.
Of course I wanted my brake calipers changing so I agreed. However they told me that my bike had to be filled with ‘BMW Approved’ engine oil to maintain my warranty.
So, in a nutshell, they were ‘blackmailing’ me to use their expensive oil so that I can have my calipers changed. I reluctantly agreed,

TODAY they have told me that they can’t bring oil on the plane, but they’re bringing a filter. They want me to go and buy ANY 10-50 oil and they will change just the oil, and I can keep the filter for the NEXT oil change!
So I’ve got to drain my $28/liter Motul oil, replace it with any cheap 10-50 oil...., because the guy has got to physically do an oil change in order to stamp my service book, before they’ll fit my calipers!!!!!!

Just tell them that you did as they asked and changed the oil with one you bought. If you still have it, show them the empty oil container. Also say that you were not happy with them not supplying a filter so you got one yourself as well. If they say anything, just say that that's what they told you to do and just act dumb.

You never know, the actual technician might be quite nice, "don't shoot the messenger".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Royal purple out of stock so I bought 2L of this......

What made you choose a racing oil instead of the oil Motul is recomending for BMW G310GS/R?

On Motuls web pages they have a lubricants recomendations function here, that says use Motul 7100 4T 15W-50 or 5100 4T 15W-50. Both meet the recomendations by BMW. As I understand it, BMW does NOT tell you to use a BMW labeled oil, they only recomend the use of oils meeting specific standards/classifications and viscocity class. As stated in the technical manual of your bike under section "Technical data".

·
Registered
167 Posts
What made you choose a racing oil instead of the oil Motul is recomending for BMW G310GS/R?

On Motuls web pages they have a lubricants recomendations function here, that says use Motul 7100 4T 15W-50 or 5100 4T 15W-50. Both meet the recomendations by BMW. As I understand it, BMW does NOT tell you to use a BMW labeled oil, they only recomend the use of oils meeting specific standards/classifications and viscocity class. As stated in the technical manual of your bike under section "Technical data".
Basically it's because that was all I could get here in the middle of nowhere. I don't have the luxury of huge choices. Almost everything here is not even synthetic as it's just made for very basic 125 and 150 cc commuter bikes who are lucky if they ever see a service in their entire life :)

·
Registered
136 Posts

Absolutely absurd. Get the cheapest 10-50 you can then drain it yourself once he has gone and replace it with the Motul the tech drained out (be sure to give him a clean drain tray).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Basically it's because that was all I could get here in the middle of nowhere. I don't have the luxury of huge choices. Almost everything here is not even synthetic as it's just made for very basic 125 and 150 cc commuter bikes who are lucky if they ever see a service in their entire life :)
I see your point and as I stated earlyer: "Any oil is better than no oil."
In your situation I would propably do as PCV recomends, change back to the 300V after the Beemer tech had left. Before puting back the racing oil, I would propably filter it thru a cloth first, to get rid of any filth it may have caught during the draining process.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Absolutely absurd. Get the cheapest 10-50 you can then drain it yourself once he has gone and replace it with the Motul the tech drained out (be sure to give him a clean drain tray).

That is exactly what I thought of doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I pruned this from the RT forum:
One of the things I find ironic is at one point BMW, or it's engineers, stated the switch to the new oil was because they no longer want molybdenum in their oils. Claims it can harm the coatings of the engine.

But in Blackstone testing of the "new" Shell oil, what was found in it? Yep, molybdenum. And I'm not talking trace amounts either. Amounts similar to the earlier Shell T6 with API ratings on it. Even better, testing of the Liquid Moly does NOT have molybdenum in there. So by BMW standards, Liquid Moly is an even better oil than it's own BMW branded.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I pruned this from the RT forum:
One of the things I find ironic is at one point BMW, or it's engineers, stated the switch to the new oil was because they no longer want molybdenum in their oils. Claims it can harm the coatings of the engine.

But in Blackstone testing of the "new" Shell oil, what was found in it? Yep, molybdenum. And I'm not talking trace amounts either. Amounts similar to the earlier Shell T6 with API ratings on it. Even better, testing of the Liquid Moly does NOT have molybdenum in there. So by BMW standards, Liquid Moly is an even better oil than it's own BMW branded.
What new Shell oil was the test run on? What Liqui-Moly lubricant are you referring to? As far as I know, Shell makes a lot of different liubricants, for a lot of different purposes. So do Liqui Moly and Motul. Some contain molybden, some do not.
As somebody stated here earlyer, BMW Advantec 15W-50 is not the same product as Shell Advanced Ultra 15W-50, even thou they may (or may not) be manufacturered in the same place.
We have to bear in mind that Shell, Liqui-Moly, BMW and Motul etc. are only brand names of products. The brand name does not describe the contents of all its products.
Let's stick to facts, not unfounded opinions, shall we?.

As somebody said earlyer: There's nothing like a good old oil discusion, to ligthen up a forum ;-)

·
Registered
167 Posts

What about this? Sales blurb states it is suitable for BMW engines and is ‘Warranty Secure’!
Will this keep Mr BMW happy do you think?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts